Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

rxt-x 260 WOT Concern

Hey guys, I know this is probably nothing, but I was curious. I was riding my RXT-X 260 with myself and another person on the back this past weekend. Well of course, another ski pulled up along side of us and wanted to race. Yes, I did and now I am a little concerned. We were in about 2/3 foot chop and pretty much going WOT and I could tell the ski was bouncing off the tops of the waves and I did not look at the rpms. I am just wondering, since I was in the throttle for about 40 sec at these condition do you think it would any any way hurt the ski. Yes, I have seen the videos of open water racing and i know they are coming unhooked and have to be bouncing off rev limiter. Just curious, because sure want this ski to last. Oh, by the way, I did smoke the FXSHO that was wanting to race

Quote Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
    Hey guys, I know this is probably nothing, but I was curious. I was riding my RXT-X 260 with myself and another person on the back this past weekend. Well of course, another ski pulled up along side of us and wanted to race. Yes, I did and now I am a little concerned. We were in about 2/3 foot chop and pretty much going WOT and I could tell the ski was bouncing off the tops of the waves and I did not look at the rpms. I am just wondering, since I was in the throttle for about 40 sec at these condition do you think it would any any way hurt the ski. Yes, I have seen the videos of open water racing and i know they are coming unhooked and have to be bouncing off rev limiter. Just curious, because sure want this ski to last. Oh, by the way, I did smoke the FXSHO that was wanting to race
    Not quite sure what you mean but you should ease off the throttle when unhooked/ getting air.

+1
    Its not the best thing to do and as Mark said above you should ease the throttle when unhooking, but it wont have hurt anything, The limiter is there to stop the damage from happening.

R88

+1
    ALL that matters is you won! lol

+1
    I did that for a while and ended up stripping the splines off of two drive shaft/props. I would back off when coming unhooked. If the ski is stock (68-69 MPH) and you ride the chop alot, you can install the IS grate. You will like it in the chop just don't take it over 74 with the trim past 1/2 way up or you may experience overstuff...

+1
    Wow, honestly that is the first time I have run it like that in those conditions. Do you think I did any damage and also, I dont think it was hitting rev limiter. This may sound fun, but how would I know. I know with dirtbikes it will pop.

+1
    Are these things that weak?? my other ski is a Yamaha 1.8 it gets a hard time and never blinks, my last two Yams both showed over 200 hours and the only thing I done was change the oil and plugs at 100 hours (not that it needed them) I hope I havent brought a ski that just all show and good for flat water runs only.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fussy1 View Post
    I hope I havent brought a ski that just all show and good for flat water runs only.
    He won didn't he? I would worry about slamming the SC washers more than anything.

@Gladerider - was it BOTH the impeller and the drive shaft? Stock impellers?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckmoto View Post
    He won didn't he? I would worry about slamming the SC washers more than anything.

@Gladerider - was it BOTH the impeller and the drive shaft? Stock impellers?
    Yep...both stock drive shafts and both stock impellers... Had the engine aligned and no problem so far.. I should also mention that prior to this I fell off the ski at 65+ MPH in the Everglades and the ski launched up the canal embankment. Carried/dragged it down (should have taken pics) put it in the water and bam, it ran perfect. Wasn't the most brilliant thing I'v done but it happened. Maybe that had something to do with it.. Just don't know. Noticed the stock & Worx grates unhook alot. If I had a stock RXTX 260 or one that ran below 74 MPH and I ran the Ocean alot I would install the IS grate!

+1
    Ok Im starting to feel a bit better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information