Yamaha GP1200r problem please help...

Hi all my Gp1200R goes well for the first 5 minutes then boggs down with no power. It has all its power for that first 5 minutes with no problem then i can swim next to the ski with no power. Compression is good and carburetors are done. Power valves are good and working as i rev it out of the water i can see the powervalves moving.Any idea where to look for the problem from here.out of the water it revs up good again...All info is appreciated...

Your not getting any warning on the cluster? It sounds like it might be heat related? does it work fine again after letting it rest for a while? or does it only work again when you take it out of the water

Hi there no warning on the cluster..and funny yes after it cools down or when i take it the next time out it will be fine again for the first 5 minutes with its power all there then starts to bog down. i also heared the last time i took it out it had a slight misfire but all compression is still good. I had the same wondering if it is not something getting hot. Engine is running cool as it can get and the exhaust aswell. Maybe something on the magneto? got me scratching.

Are you sure about the 5 min could be in the ignition when you run the ski check the fire coming out of the plug wires when it starts running bad

Did you check the compression right after the problem starts? I had a ski do this because a cylinder was out of round. Compression was fine cold but once it ran for a few minutes to warm up compression dropped considerably

+1
    run the ski on the hose, see if it will run for 15 minutes. If it does more then likely your cdi.

compression is good what i think not to sure if i is that the rectifier getting hot?can it be? what i will do is run the ski with the hose and check the spark will keep you posted thanks everyone for the input appreciated. i had a look at the 2 plugs at the back one was the exhaust temp and the orther plug the one running to the mag side and one of the wires are a bit burnt that is way i think maybe the rectifier getting hot mybe shorting? Will keep posted.

Thread Information