Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Trying to find my lost speed

I've not been chasing numbers with my 07 ski due to wanting reliability, but the old man just got a FZS so I need to keep up.

-Stock with 10ish hours, the best that I was able to get was 67.8 mph with very low fuel. 66-66.5 was easily attainable.
    -With stepped sponsons, r/d 1200 grate, sealed shoe (with filled bolt holes), 75 hrs on ski, and 1/2 tank, best was 63 mph.
    -Added a Riva FF and ran 63 the next day with 6 bars of fuel. The other day, wit 81 hours, I got a max of 64.3ish with 2 bars.
    -Yesterday I ran with my pre-FF Jim's Plate and only ran an average of 64.5 with full fuel. This plate was never that fast for me (only got 2-3 mph on my '04). As you will see in the pics, the plate sits pretty much flush (maybe hangs a hair or 2) with the pump shoe on the sides. It's passed the paper test, so the pump is ground enough.

I'm just trying to see what I did to drop my speed this much. And I thought that I could get 70 with just hull bolt ons
    Could it be an improperly sealed shoe? POS 1200 grate? Stock cat con? Here are some pics.

Thanks for all input. I have a SHO nozzle than I need to get bored out and riva d-plate that I need to put in (but am dreading dealing with those stinger bolts) once I figure out this possible hull issue.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Maybe take a ride to Tampa and drop it of i can get a stock 1300 npv ski to run 70 with just my FF plate, You are doing something wrong you are slower than a stock ski.

I can probably come down for a day with it, but won't be able to drop it off and pick it up later. I realize that I'm slower than stock, considering that it ran 67+ with low fuel stock. Maybe I should wait and see how it goes with low fuel and the plate? Do you see anything wrong in the photos? There are no shims on that rideplate.

If the plate hangs down any it will slow you down sure. The FF tube slows you down also. If the shoe is not up in the hull as high as it was from the factory it will slow it down too.

Ron, I set the shoe as high and far back as possible. Taking the plate out of the equation, would you say that the 3-4 mph loss from stock is justified by the 1200 grate, FF, and stepped sponsons? I was under the impression that if the shoe isn't set right, it would scrub off more substantial speed.

As for the plate, it is box stock from when I got it from Jim back in 06 (I think thats the year) - no shims. Anyone know if they all sit as low as mine, or is something off on my ski and/or plate? BTW, I tried a .060" washer under each rear mount and it didn't make the front hang less.

Thanks.

Last edited by PuprleNuprleGPR; 06-08-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Every ski is a little different..... Yes if the shoe hangs down any at all it will scrub speed. I'm taking even just .030" can scrub speed. How much I don't know for sure. But it will cause the grate to hang down to since its bolted to the shoe. Where the pump plugs filed even before you sealed it? Even too much sealant will cause it to hang down.

You need to file or grind down the front mounts on the plate to get it up some. I like to actually run a step in mine on the sides when it meets the shoe. Yours looks like its actually hanging down....which will no doubt scrub speed.

The Free flow can slow it down .5mph on a near stock engine. Check your trim, make sure its not down any while in neutral so when trimmed up it goes up all the way.
    Remember rider position, amount of fuel, trim and of course water conditions change top speed a lot.
    If it were my ski....I would put a 14/20 dynafly in , pull the airbox and really pick up some speed. Of course I would throw a keyway in it while I was working on it.....and the list goes on...haha.

Thanks, I'll double check the shoe, although I am almost positive that I've the proper .075" gap. The PPK pieces were filed down and I almost didn't use enough 4200. There was barely any squeeze out so I had to caulk the shoe after it dried.

Since I don't feel comfortable grinding on the mounts and will eventually get Jim's FF mod, any harm/benefit in slightly filing the leading edge of the plate where it's potentially hanging?

This ski is meant to be a ride-anywhere, reliable ski. I take it in the surf so no air box is not an option. I'll probably get the R/D reflash, 13/19 DF, and leo's pump wedge eventually after I figure out if I have an issue with my ski. Maybe my cat's disintegrated, but the ski sounds healthy all around.

OK, quick update.

The pump shoe does seem to be hanging a bit on one side and the intake grate does have a couple of edged that stick past the shoe surfaces.
    In front of the front left bolt, a nickel fits loose; in front of rear left bolt and front right bolt, a nickel barely doesn't fit; a nickel doesn't fit in front of rear right bolt. The plate edge sits a hair above the shoe on the side that hangs, and a hair below the side that doesn't hang.

If I decide to try and reset the shoe, whats the best way to unglue it and clean up the dried 4200? Also, I remember having an issue with this last time, so how do you guys keep 4200 front getting on the bolts? Finally, should I invest in the heavy duty billet mounts with longer bolts?

I would reseal the pump shoe then. Test fit it first. I think the stock mounts would be fine on your ski since its a newer model, same brackets I use on my skis.

I've heated it up with heat gun to remove the shoe...and lots of prying. If you didn't sand it well, it might come off easily. I use a wire wheel on air tool to remove the sealant and clean up everything. Getting sealant on the bolts didn't really seem to create a problem for me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information