2000 Genesis FFI electrical problems

I went out on the river saturday and my ski ran great. I stopped and cut the engine off so my son can jump in the water. I noticed smoke coming out behind rear seat and smelled electrical fire. I pulled the seats off to find all three wires (2 red and 1 black) that connects to the starter solenoid, ground and starter to be melted and the battery was hissing, I assumed that the plastic on one of the red wires rubbed against the block and storter out. So I disconnected all the cables and was pulled back to shore. I bought new cables and tried to crank it up and it turned over 2 times and then smoke starting coming out of the starter solenoid. I guess my question is, is there any way to test the starter solenoid?? Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks in advance!

Did it try to crank over normal or was it slow turning? Solenoids usually dont smoke unless they have a short somewhere downstream in the electrical. If it was slow cranking sounds like you could have a bad short in the starter. Was on a car, but had a starter dead short internally once and it melted everything back to and including the battery.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    Did it try to crank over normal or was it slow turning? Solenoids usually dont smoke unless they have a short somewhere downstream in the electrical. If it was slow cranking sounds like you could have a bad short in the starter. Was on a car, but had a starter dead short internally once and it melted everything back to and including the battery.

Thanks for your reply, I resolved my issues. The red cable going to the starter was grounding out on the side of the starter by the post. I just used electrical tape and taped around the starter where the cable rests.. Problem solved!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The solenoid is probably internally damaged by the heavy current flows. If it is the original black solenoid with metal backing plate, replace it.

Thread Information