Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intake grate ripped out !!!

Has anybody ever had there intake grate rip out. Yesterday while practicing for a 100 mile endurance race thats coming up I was holding 60mph (GPs) in a bit of a swell with a 3 degree wedge. The run was going ok but I did notice it wasn't staying hooked up very well !!! I put in 50 miles and that was a tank of gas gone so headed back to the ramp and put it on the trailer when I pulled the bungs water just kept running out. Pulled the seat and water was 6 inches deep in the hull. I had a look underneath thinking I had holed it on something and the grate was missing and water was running out the bolt hole.

On further investigation I found that the thread has stripped that holds the grate, it was a fairly new 650 R&D. Has anyone had this happen and what is the best fix ? I could drill through the hull over size and put a plate on the inside of the hull with a threaded boss welded to it or try and drill and retap the insert in the hull ?

Any body got a 750 grate for sale.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You're not the first that's happened to.

It's only a 1/4" bolt that holding all that pressure.

Best fix is to run a bolt and nut with a large fender washer on the inside with a little silicone to seal it.

+1
    Mine ripped out at 77 and almost tossed me. It left the bolt and part of the grate on there though. I got another grate, filled the center hole with weld and drilled 2 holes outside of it. I will now have 2 bolts holding it on

Here was me thinking I had done something special. I wouldn't have credited how much pressure was under there so looks like it needs the beef-up.

I'm going to make up a plate as you sugested and put it on the inside I will weld a boss onto it with a 3/8" thread and epoxy it onto the inside and put another countersunk bolt through from the outside that way I don't need to get to the inside to hold it each time as I have to remove a couple of the tripple pipes to get under the drive coupler. Maybe a dome head bolt would be better or would that mess up the flow ?

Has anybody got a 750 R & D or 650 grate for sale ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suparoo View Post
    Here was me thinking I had done something special. I wouldn't have credited how much pressure was under there so looks like it needs the beef-up.

I'm going to make up a plate as you sugested and put it on the inside I will weld a boss onto it with a 3/8" thread and epoxy it onto the inside and put another countersunk bolt through from the outside that way I don't need to get to the inside to hold it each time as I have to remove a couple of the tripple pipes to get under the drive coupler. Maybe a dome head bolt would be better or would that mess up the flow ?

I have a grate 65.00 plus shipping
    On my two Matrix's they used an Allen bolt with a nice stainless washer and it doesn't seem to hurt anything i still run close to 80

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1

Thats what I did to mine to be safe, it was either someone like Beer or Hydrotoys that told me this must be done and to do it this way with the nut tapped onto the plate and glassing in the hull

During the Mark Hahn this year on our team Kawasaki Ultra 250 the front mount screws on the grate got loose an backed out just enough to the point that the pressure and such was able to pull the grate back till it snapped off in a fraction of a second at high speed breaking off just at the foot, somehow luckily rider Gerner was not thrown - It took over 30 mins to get back in the race and without a doubt cost us a overall win

So the next thing after the mod that should always be done is lock tight and silicone around the edge of the front of the grate and even on any MSX so that one Little bolt does not back out even a hair ... you would never would never be wanted to be thrown off a ski when you have no idea it will happen, ask me how I know LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    I have a grate 65.00 plus shipping
    On my two Matrix's they used an Allen bolt with a nice stainless washer and it doesn't seem to hurt anything i still run close to 80
    Bob I think I might have to open an account with you LOL. Which grate have you got there 650 or 700 do you have a pic of it. I think I had a 650 last time it had the extra bar in the centre at the back (they list them new 2871560 for a pro 1200) but I think the 700 might be better ???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6488b008.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	241377

+1
    Bob I think I might have to open an account with you LOL. Which grate have you got there 650 or 700 do you have a pic of it. I think I had a 650 last time it had the extra bar in the centre at the back (they list them new 2871560 for a pro 1200) but I think the 700 might be better ???

Name:	6488b008.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	241377
    i have one at home like the pic but i have a few at the shop i'll look tommorow and let you know

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... Which grate have you got there 650 or 700 do you have a pic of it...
    With R&D intake grates the three versions are (as I recall);
    650 grate direct from R&D (2 bars)

650 grate with 3 bars, OEM version from Polaris, stock on the Pro 785 models
    (I am not sure whether there is any important difference in the scoop itself, or just has the third bar)

750SL version with larger and deeper 'scoop' (identifiable in photos as the two long bars are actually slightly raised or proud of the underside of the grate at the rear edge)

Somewhere on here are several comparison photos of these different intake grates.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Here's some of my R&D for you K if you need these, with the Jet Dynamics 70 also

Name:	Matrix_grates_6_08 001.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	241402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matrix_grates_6_08 014.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	241403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matrix_grates_6_08 007.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	241404

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information