pump shoe kit...really needed??

was talking to a buddy who is pretty hip to marine boat stuff(not jetskiis tho) and asking him if I should use 4200 or 5200 for installing my kit pieces....he asked why not just fill voids with marine tex....I thought this might be a good idea but never saw it discussed, you guys seem to have everything yamaha down to a science...has this been tried? if not, why? if so, results?...thanks for replies!
    ps- I haven't even looked at my shoe yet, just know this is one of the mods I will doing..

I read someone did it on here. It just took a bunch of tubes because some of the cavities are pretty big and since it was so much it took forever to cure

+1
    I've used Alumilite Super Plastic casting resin on a couple of skis. Time consuming but works great. Cures in five minutes.
    Just bought my first pump plug kit, used, so I'll be able to compare shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    I've used Alumilite Super Plastic casting resin on a couple of skis. Time consuming but works great. Cures in five minutes.
    Just bought my first pump plug kit, used, so I'll be able to compare shortly.
    +1 on the casting resin. I hear it works just as good as the PPK and for a lot less too. Check out this thread. See post #14. It seems like it takes longer than the PPK, but it's still really straight forward.

excellent, thanks!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    This is the Pump shoe and transom plate filled with Allumilite casting resin. One box cost me $30ish bucks and was enough to do both. You can find it at most hobby or craft stores.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0543.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	241576

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    This is the Pump shoe and transom plate filled withe Allumilite casting resin. One box cost me $30ish bucks and was enough to do both. You can find it at most hobby or craft stores.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0543.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	241576

nice, thanks for info aND PICS!...I haven't removed mine yet so not sure exactly what they look like, is there any voids I cant see in the pics? I assume the white is flush with surrounding metal? lastly, and sorry for all the questions, did this one mod help significantly with hole shot cavitation?
    thanks again!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    The voids are pretty obvious when you get the shoe off. Just be sure to take your time and only mix up 1/2 to 3/4 a cup at a time. The resin cures quickly and if you need to add more, its no problem. I masked off the outside area just to be safe. be sure to level the area you want to fill.
    Filling the cavities that allow air to be introduced into the pump will definitely help with cavitation.

Thread Information