Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 140 shutting off while riding, hesitating to accelerate..

We recently got 2 MSX 140's and one of them is running fine no problems what so ever. The second one on the other hand, at first was shutting off while riding but would start back up after 20 seconds or so, so we looked around for someone near our lake to work on them, and when we finally found someone he charged us $400 to clean carbs and check electrical but then after putting it back in the water it was having the shutting off problem but now when it shuts off you have to open up the seat to get it to start, AND it hesitates when you accelerate. The problem with shutting off seems to be happening more when jumping wakes and putting on and of the throttle (if that helps posily diagnose the problem). But does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be and or how to figure it out or fix it/ any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your help,
    Adam

Also everything i have read on here tells me that the MSX 140's were fuel injected therefore wouldnt have carbs am i right here?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

The MSX 140 is indeed Ficht fuel injected, no carburetors. There are throttle bodies which look like carbs but are much simpler. What exactly did the service shop do?

What do you do when you take the seat off to get it to restart? Does it run properly (or better) if you ride without the seat?

thank you!
    And he said he went through and checked all of the wiring to make sure there weren't any places where it was grounding out, and also cleaned the "carbs" which im guessing were the throttle bodies. and i haven't ridden it without the seat i just opened it up and pushed the starter and it would start up right away. even after trying numerous times with the seat on and it not starting. would it be safe to ride without a seat? I thought about it for a test but i was afraid getting water in it would mess something up.

+1
    Riding without the seat is just fine. You don't want to be rolling it over or riding in big waves, but even a refreshing amount of water splashing/spray won't bother anything.

With the exception of the actual air intake into the engine (flame arrestor mesh) everything else under the seat should be sealed up and very waterproof.

Just stand up during the ride (which is how I ride most of the time anyway, even when the seat is installed). Don't run into anything while looking down at the engine

You can test things by keeping it strapped to the trailer at the launch ramp, back it down until the jet pump intake is fully submerged, then you can stand there and monitor it without going anywhere. You can even apply throttle - just make sure it cannot shift around and hurt anybody.

OK i will definitely give that a try tomorrow, Thanks! but at the same time, given the problems the ski is having is there any answer that comes to mind of what could possibly be going wrong? to make it stall or hesitate when accelerating? Also, if it in fact does work beter without the seat what would that mean? and thanks again for all of your help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamOH4 View Post
    if it in fact does work better without the seat what would that mean? ...
    Usually that means there is an exhaust leak into the engine compartment and the engine is starving for fresh air.*

Exhaust leaks are often findable just by running the engine with the seat off and feeling around all the big exhaust hoses and clamps. There should be zero exhaust gasses leaking out of the exhaust system and into the under seat area.

Since there is supposed to be water spray injected into the exhaust gases flow (when running with the hull in the water or on the garden hose connection) a hose leak often spurts both exhaust and water. Hoses often fail where you cannot see, such as the bottom side or near a clamp or elbow. Sometimes a hose will only leak when the engine is producing power and the exhaust pressure rises.

If any of the exhaust hoses feel soft or mushy or look deformed or heat affected it might mean the inner lining of the hose has come apart. Take every suspect hose off and inspect the interior. These big hoses can be stuck in place and take some arm wrestling to work off and later put back on.

The common cause for exhaust hose internal collapse is overheating, and overheating of the hoses is typically caused by a clog in the exhaust water injection mesh screen or orifice.

* Sometimes the problem is a water leak that is spraying against the bottom of the seat, then getting sucked into the engine air intake. Riding with the seat off lets you see if there is water spritzing out from anywhere.

Ok, so we got the ski back, gas tank was emptied, cleaned and cleared. Put a new set of the NGK plugs Polaris sells for them in today and took it out on the water. Still hesitates very badly, at first with full throttle only wanted to go about 13mph, then after awhile of holding down the throttle and feathering it trying to get it to accelerate it did a bit and it would still hesitate and feel like i let off the throttle even when it was consistently held down. It stalled twice in the maybe 10-15 minutes i was out on it. After this i took the seat off and road it like that and it didn't seem to be any better, and i didn't see any water spurting up or anything like that. Sorry it took so long to update!

+1
    So the whole seat on, seat off, thing has just gone away now?
    It does not matter anymore whether seat is on or off?

You now have a consistent rough running, poor idle, poor throttle response - correct?

When it stalled the seat was off already so im not sure as to if it needed to be or not but it started right back up. and yes the idle is not too bad i dont think, but the other two. Yes. correct. and sporadic stalling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information