Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

need computer help

alright i know there are a ton of computer genius here.

I have a problem with my dell i owned a few and not to bad but this one is nothing but problems. Any way im not sure if i have a hard drive issue or a virus. a bunch of programs are missing and i tired to reinstall windows but it wont let me. It also keeps having a message pop up " the system has detected a problem with one or more installed sata hard disks. its is recommend that you restart your system". so is this the hard drive failing or do i have a virus.

+1
    Sounds like a bad drive, but usually if that's the case they won't boot at all unless the OS is on a different(healthy) drive. Do you have multiple drives? RAID?

+1
    no i dont. i just dont want to buy a hard drive for nothing.

+1
    How old is the computer? Most Dell's use Western Digital drives which have a 5-year warranty. WD will also cross-ship replacements.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Bad drive sector. Windows 7 is what you have right? Have seen this several times. Need to make the recovery DVD's and get a new drive.

+1
    yah i have windows 7 and it pops up like every 10-15 minutes. i already made a recovery disk and i have windows 7 for another computer i have so im set on the operating system. But it is the hard drive right? that sucks there goes my extra money for the week LOL.

Im gona call dell tomorrow and complain. This is some bullcrap as this computer is a complete lemon they have replace the video card, screen, dvd drive and now the hard drive give me a break. The screen was the best one i fought with then for 6 weeks trying to get it fixed they told me it was a software issue. I sent it to there tech center twice and they sent it back saying it was okay. it had all kinds of lines running through it and crap. i called them up and told them i would never buy another dell and there was tech at my door the next day and guess what it was the screen guy took one look at it and knew what it was.

+1
    Even if the computer is out of warranty, the drive is still separately warranteed by the manufacturer. Most likely won't cost a dime to replace besides shipping.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    What do you mean Windows 7 from another computer? Unless you have a Microsoft installation disc it might not work. Is it a desk top or laptop? If your recovery disc is only one disc it is a backup not a recovery. Recovery is about 4 DL DVD's. No manufacturer includes a recovery disc anymore, they hide it on the hard drive. There will be an utility program to copy it to DVD's to install a new hard drive.

+1
    its the windows 7 install setup you buy at the store. its a laptop

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    its the windows 7 install setup you buy at the store. its a laptop
    You need the Laptop restore DVD's. If you use the store bought copy you will have to find all the Dell laptop drivers. If you search you will find people that sell all the different drivers on a DVD. If you try tracking them down for free be prepared to sift through a bunch of virus downloads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information