Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

head gasket leak ??

Can I use air pressure to check for coolant leak or blown head gasket?
    if so what is safe psi to inject into cylinder?...PR...

I don`t have a leak down tester...

+1
    Andy, stock compression is around 140-150 psi. So anything around or below that is fine

Basically, I want to close the valves then inject air and listen for leaks possibly coming from head water outlet or worse exhaust manifold or intake port....

What`s the easiest way to spin the engine around?...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 05-06-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Basically, the engine is stripped of the intake and it`s just a long block sitting in the hull. I want to close the valves then inject air and listen for leaks possibly coming from head water outlet or worse exhaust manifold or intake port....

What`s the easiest way to spin the engine around?...PR...
    Andy,

If the plugs are removed, you can easily turn the motor by putting a socket on the super charger impeller nut. If you are on the left side of the ski, pull the wrench towards you. Before this though, take a long socket adapter and wrap a towel or something soft around so you don't ding up the impeller and stick it through the pump so the impeller cannot turn. This is also the way to check slip on the S/C'er.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Andy,

If the plugs are removed, you can easily turn the motor by putting a socket on the super charger impeller nut. If you are on the left side of the ski, pull the wrench towards you. Before this though, take a long socket adapter and wrap a towel or something soft around so you don't ding up the impeller and stick it through the pump so the impeller cannot turn. This is also the way to check slip on the S/C'er.
    SC if off of engine...PR...

+1
    Andy, when i do a leakdown i just go ahead and take the rocker shaft off that way all the valve are closed. Its nearly impossible to get the engine at TDC and have it stay there. When you put the pressure to it the engine will want to roll over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    SC if off of engine...PR...
    OK, this will be a little tougher. You'll remove the pump assembly and either go to a dealer and ask to borrow the adapter that goes on the impeller splines on the shaft and then spin the impeller shaft to find TDC, or, and I have never tried this, use the impeller itself, but see if you can wrap a towell around the blades so you don't slice your hands up and see if that will work. I am thinking it will be very hard to turn though. Oh, and almost forgot, this will probably take two people because since you cannot hold the impeller and put air through the top at the same time, the valves will want to spin over.
    Last edited by Red Devil; 12-03-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Andy, when i do a leakdown i just go ahead and take the rocker shaft off that way all the valve are closed. Its nearly impossible to get the engine at TDC and have it stay there. When you put the pressure to it the engine will want to roll over.
    Yeah, I hear ya, with a V8, there is alittle more resistance, and easier to back off the rockers.

anyways, is there a removal cycle to unbolting the rocker shafts to unload tension from valve springs or it doesn`t matter...know what I mean. I haven`t looked into it yet...PR...

+1
    Just unscrew each bolt a little bit at a time until the bolts come out by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Just unscrew each bolt a little bit at a time until the bolts come out by hand.
    will do, I`ll get into that after work tomorrow! Thanks O Green one! ...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information