Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What parts am I likely to need

Polaris Virage TX 2001. No Compression on middle cylinder. After reading a lot of stuff about piston wash I'm pretty sure I've done some damage to the piston. At the moment I don't have the tools to take the head off so I don't know the full extent of the damage. So the main question is "What parts am I likely to need ?" and where/who in the UK are able to supply the said parts, I can then cost up the repair including the cost of the new tools against getting a repairer to do it for me. If the cost is too great then I have a nice little project for sale.

+1
    It's difficult to say what you will exactly need, but you can probably assume at minimum it will be a single piston kit. You need to remove the head and post up some pics and the polaris crew will help you out. So long as you don't have significant damage to the cylinder or any shrapnel in your bottom end it might be a cheap repair you can do yourself. An 01 Virage is worth fixing.

yeah pick yourself up a little 3/8 inch socket set (cheap$$$) and a torque wrench ($45-100) and a piston kit and gaskets

like i tell every one buy the tools and do it yourself with everything it may be cheaper short term but in the long run you will gain valuable knowledge you can apply to everyday life you will learn all types of cool things

if you need a tool buy one you'll be surprised how quickly you can collect tools and always use the right tool for the right job

hint: a torque wrench is not a breaker bar you'd be surprised i actually saw someone doing this the other day

if you have any questions just ask no question is stupid trust me theres 100 more people wondering the same thing

you definately need a new piston and rings if you get lucky you wont have to buy a cylinder but you just might good luck

At last a bit of encouragement, "her in doors" wasn't interested. I've got a socket set all be it 1/2 inch and a torque wrench again 1/2 inch. I'll have a look for a 3/8th set and some Torx bits. I've found a site in the South of England that looks like they can supply the parts for less than £100. I just hope I haven't damaged the cylinder. Thankyou all for picking my chin up.

you can use a 1/2 inch to 3/8" adapter on that torque wrench you can pick one up for less than 5$

Right Guys. Got the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and the right Torx Bit and took the head off. ( !Oh Bugger! ) No sooting at all on the piston, just clean aluminium. Also the piston flaps around in the cylinder like a wet fish and you can feel the roughness of the cylinder walls. So looks like new cylinder needed as well. Can the cylinder be removed without taking all the exhaust and manifold off? because it looks like a real pain of a job otherwise.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ifindoubtdont View Post
    Can the cylinder be removed without taking all the exhaust and manifold off? because it looks like a real pain of a job otherwise.
    Negative. Carbs must come off with intake manifold as well as exhaust manifold. It isn't too bad if you take your time don't rush it should take you a couple of hours. How about some pics of the piston and cyl wall?

I have replaced a piston/cylinder without removing the exhaust or intake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    I have replaced a piston/cylinder without removing the exhaust or intake.
    How did you manage to correctly torque the cylinder to the crankcase? This is where I think you would have the biggest problem as there is no room to do it, and no universal ratchet fitting will go in (at least on domestics)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information