Thread: How to install rideplate inserts
06-07-2011, 11:18 AM #1
How to install rideplate inserts
Overall this was very straight forward instal, I am very experienced in working on the FZ platform so I didn’t run into any trouble. You will need a large regular screwdriver to pop off the old inserts, a large scraper/ razor to remove excess material, 1fl oz of 5200 FC, and a vacuum to suck everything up.
Ok here we go…
1. Slide the ski back on the trailer and remove the rideplate.
2. Remove the rear grab handle completely (including the metal piece).
3. Remove the exhaust tubes NOT the exhaust outlet.
4. Remove the water box.
5. Using the flat head screwdriver, pop off the glue holding the stock inserts on. It should come off pretty easily. It may be tough to get off if the glue seeped into gaps in the hull when it was applied at the factory.
6. Knock the inserts loose with your hand or small hammer and remove.
7. Using a scraper/ razor, remove the old silicone. Make sure you get it all, you will probably end up scrapping off some of the nanoxcell material but this is fine.
8. 8. Clean with vacuum and then wipe with WATER and dry. DO NOT use any solvent containing alcohol because this inhibits 5200 from curing.
9. Apply 5200 FC to the new inserts liberally and put them into place.
10. Install the rideplate and torque to 17nm (per the service manual) and let set for 24 hours.
While I had the waterbox out I ran the ski to see how loud it is with a stright pipe.... holy shit its loud
06-07-2011, 11:56 AM #2
Sweet write-up Mike!
06-07-2011, 12:05 PM #3
06-07-2011, 12:37 PM #4
NICE! Thanks for taking the time to do that!
06-07-2011, 02:43 PM #5
06-07-2011, 03:34 PM #6
Ok so I screwed up, I originally said to remove the OEM exhaust outlet. However, DO NOT do this. It becomes impossible to reinstall once the inserts are in place. You MUST leave the OEM exhaust outlet (the ring) in place when installing.
I, unfortunately, made the mistake of removing the ring and didn't realize it until 5 hours later when I went to re install the ff exhaust and ended up removing one of the partially cured inserts. So take my mistake and don't make the same one
I also posted that Jerry recommended just intalling the ring on the outside of the ski which works great in THEORY. However, in practice this causes exhuast fumes to flow back into the hull which is undoubtly a safety issue. So please only install that ring the way it came from the factory.
06-07-2011, 07:38 PM #7
- Join Date
- Oct 2010
Damn, like a dummy I ordered these for my SHO.... Didnt read!!! anyone want a set cheap?
06-07-2011, 11:17 PM #8
06-08-2011, 12:21 AM #9
- Join Date
- Oct 2010
deal send them back tomorrow
06-08-2011, 12:42 AM #10
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By GPR in forum Yamaha ClassifiedsReplies: 14Last Post: 09-01-2010, 06:40 PM
By absolutesltx in forum Polaris Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
By deansta in forum Yamaha ClassifiedsReplies: 6Last Post: 11-08-2009, 02:44 AM
By joeblo in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 41Last Post: 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
By bigbuck12345 in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 18Last Post: 03-21-2008, 08:57 AM