Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

4 Stroke Choices Yamaha vs Kawasaki which to get?

Folks I would like a few opinions.

Wife and I have ridden Yamaha's from 2001, we have had 1200XLT (2000) now a XLT1200 (2001) and GP800R (wifes). I have the opportunity to purchase either a FX HO for me and FX HO Cruiser for her or give Kawasaki's a try with their Ultra LX.

Our riding style is cruising rivers, bays, inter coastal waterways and some gulf coast when the weather is nice. We don't jump wakes, waves and we are not interested in 96.5 mph. I am leaning heavily toward the Yamaha because it always seemed when my friends "Sea Doo"s broke down, I towed them home. The one and only Kawasaki I was acquainted with was a number of years back at Sebastian and that guy took his on several trips over to Bimini and back. (Honda's are out, I rode a friends and it's one wet uncomfortable ride, sucked in bay chop.)

So if it was you and you had a spare $25k in your pocket to buy two new ski's what would your recommendation be for two mature adults.

Best regards

Bolts

+1
    I have a 2007 (MR1) FX HO and it is a great ski. Very stable and extreamly reliable. The 1.8L n/a FX HO will give you a stable ride as well and even more power. I've never been on a kawi before, but based on my expierences with my yamahas, it would be pretty damn hard to beat the FX HO.

"So if it was you and you had a spare $25k in your pocket to buy two new ski's what would your recommendation be for two mature adults."

Given this scenario, I would buy 2 VXR's

+1
    Based on your location, you look like you ride in the ocean. If your going for two skis, don't get two of the same. It's like having two 2011 Honda Accords. Not fun. For pure rec ride enjoyment, get the Yamaha VXS and the Kawasaki Ultra LX. One is really good when it gets rough, and one is more playful. This gives you the opportunity to change things up. And when you ride solo, you have a choice.

yamahas the way to go

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
    Folks I would like a few opinions.
    Welcome to the forum; you came to the right place.

Wife and I have ridden Yamaha's from 2001, we have had 1200XLT (2000) now a XLT1200 (2001) and GP800R (wifes). I have the opportunity to purchase either a FX HO for me and FX HO Cruiser for her or give Kawasaki's a try with their Ultra LX.
    My experience with the Ultra LX is wet; you will get 25 gallons of water right over the hood. My neighbor had one for a few months and dumped it for a Yamaha.

Our riding style is cruising rivers, bays, inter coastal waterways and some gulf coast when the weather is nice. We don't jump wakes, waves and we are not interested in 96.5 mph. I am leaning heavily toward the Yamaha because it always seemed when my friends "Sea Doo"s broke down, I towed them home.
    Yes, and the Sea-Doos tow the Kawasakis home!
    The Yamahas have proven to be hands down more durable than those others; the thousands of units selected for the rental industry alone proves this. In my experience; Yamahas are known for durability, Sea-Doos are known for innovation; and Kawis are known for, well... seriously, test ride them all if you can, but for your needs I suggest Yamaha.

(Honda's are out, I rode a friends and it's one wet uncomfortable ride, sucked in bay chop.)
    In that case, you might prefer the Yamaha FX series over the Yamaha VX series. Honda stopped making their watercraft a while back.

So if it was you and you had a spare $25k in your pocket to buy two new ski's what would your recommendation be for two mature adults.
    Run don't walk, run to your local Yamaha dealer and ask to demo the VXR and also the FX-HO; they have several variations on these; cruiser seats, etc. so make sure you look at them all carefully, make sure you try them in the chop; make your choice and GO YAMAHA with a 5 year extended warranty. You will not regret this move; I have owned Yamaha marine engines for over 25 years and their track record speaks for itself.

If you check on PWC Trader online you can sometimes find a GREAT deal on 2009 or 2010 holdover units with zero hours; many of us buy our skis this way and save thousands.

As I said, you came to the right place; lots of good peeps here on all the boards at Green Hulk and these guys will go out of their way to help you out. When you buy them come back and post up a photo and best wishes for your search!

+1
    I have no experience of riding Kawi but I have read plenty about them and seen them in person in open water. They are far more advanced than Yamis in terms of almost everything. However, their leading edge technology comes with potential headaches/problems/often rapid wear!

Yamis are also high performance, although lack gadgets but they are almost the most reliable brand ski out there!

If you want leading edge performance and can deal with repair costs or down time, I think Kawi is your answer! I love the look and performance of their Ultra 300! Every time I go to our dealer, I find myself looking at that ski and loving every inch of it! I can't afford downtime or breakdowns though!

I hope you take this with a grain of salt.

+1
    I like the idea of having 2 different skis (as Carlos Thomas suggested) that way you can change it up and ride something else when you get bored, and have one ski that will perform at its best in smoother water and one which will perform best in rough water.
    From a reliability standpoint, based on experience, Yamaha is definitely the way to go - I have owned both Yamaha and Kawasaki.
    I am considering the Yamaha/Kawasaki (300x) duo as we speak.

I had a totally different experience with reliability, my least reliable ski was actually a Yamaha (GPR). There's mainly Seadoo's in my area since the only PWC dealer in my area is a Seadoo dealer. There's a guy with a modded 07 RXP and he's out 'hammering' on it every day and another guy with a 08 RXT-X that doesn't ride quite as hard as him but also rides every day in the summer and neither have ever broken down. My other neighbor had a 06 RXT and also never had a problem with it except sucking in a rock and damaging the impeller (not a manufacture fault).

Now I'm kinda a beginner with PWC's but I've seen more Yamaha's and Kawasaki's broken down in my area than Seadoo's. In fact, my very own bosses Kawasaki is sitting out in my parking lot getting fixed by my father right now. From all the Seadoo's out running around trouble free where I live I think people are exaggerating their reliability being poor, at least I'm really hoping so since I just bought a brand new one. But the other ones in my area are running flawlessly without problems. I've asked every single person how theirs has been as far as reliability and nobody has mentioned having any problems with their Seadoo's yet and the way people where hagging on them on this forum I was expecting mine to be sunk, blown up, or just not working at all before even the 10hr maintenance.

Yea I was asking for advice on what ski to get, the VXR was most recommended for my type of riding and what I wanted out of a ski, but I'm a hard head and still got 'what I actually wanted' - the hot red and white RXP at my local dealer, heh. So far it's been glitch free and has exceeded all my expectations and I'm extremely happy with it!

Know what, don't even listen to anybody and follow your own intuition. I was even told by many people not to even get a newer ski because I like to get in the water to get wet after working a hard day of construction and I can get so soaked on the RXP it's not even funny. I can literally start carving up corners and playing and practically blow my eye lids off my head throwing water into myself! Yea, so much for listening to people! Try and do research, don't buy totally blind, but then I would ultimately buy 'what you want' and not what someone else wants you to buy with your money! I did that with the GPR and was totally 120% disappointing! I went against what everyone said and got the RXP and I've never been so happy with a recreational vehicle - I've even sold off all my other play toys including my old ski and dirt bike. The RXP rocks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    I had a totally different experience with reliability, my least reliable ski was actually a Yamaha (GPR).
    Let's at least compare oranges to oranges here; you're talking about a 2 stroke dinosaur; not even in the same class as the new generation 4 strokes for reliability. And let's face it; if you want to go "retro" with the discussion, then you will also have to factor in the Sea-Doo "ceramic" years with many Sea-Doo owners who unwittingly destroyed their $7,000 engines because of those little fragile clutch washers, simply because they weren't warned.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information