RXPX Intake Grate

I have a modded 2008 RXPX and I will list the mods below. My question is regarding intake grates for this modded ski.

My question is not concerning the overstuff issues as I have never experienced that on my ski but I quess I should throw that in if that is a concern I should be concerned with considering all the mods.

I am currently running the standard (not the closed course grate) intake grate and although it has better top speed I am preplexed. The lake I ride on can be slightly choppy during the week out on the open part of the lake and very, very choppy on the weekends meaning large rollers. Even though I run the pump extension kit which does help quite a bit when it is really choppy and I want to race someone else I still am not staying hooked up as much as I would like and with the revving I lose more speed than I should.

So should I consider going back and trying the stock grate or the R&D closed course grate for better hook up? I do realize I will scrub top speed but I am not a big top speed guy as I don't even no what my top speed is but I am sure it is on the upper 70's.

1. How much top speed do either one of these grates scub off in smooth water?

2. Considering my mods are either one of these grates not recommended due to the over stuffing issues with the RXPX?

Mods for the 2008 RXP-X are: Rotax Racing ECU, 60lb. injectors, Rotax SC spacer, Rotax SC wheel, PPG block guard, Riva 3" air intake, PPG camshaft, Riva/PPG valve spacer kit, Riva RRFPR, RE OPAS block offs, Riva sponsons, stock ride plate, R&D intake grate, Pump extension kit, Ported head, Riva catch can.

THanks!

+1
    The reason you "probly" havent seen the buck issue is because your rarely at top speed?
    Id say for huckup the stock grate would be best that thing is like a wall.. Other then that id say try the worx grate.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyKid View Post
    The reason you "probly" havent seen the buck issue is because your rarely at top speed?
    Id say for huckup the stock grate would be best that thing is like a wall.. Other then that id say try the worx grate.
    The only time I truly ride in absolute smooth water is a long straight path of water along a built up road before I cross under a bride...maybe 3/4 mile long. I always open it up and get to 8140 RPM for maybe 10-12 seconds and it never even wiggles, bucks, or jumps but again that is only 10-12 seconds. After I go under the bridge I hit the choppy water and I am usually skipping over the tops of the waves.

+1
    Still kinda shocked lol.. I would look up how the CC racers are adding length to there ride plate like 10-30mm at the rear for huckup. Seeing the money you spent on your ski already I personally wouldnt go back to the stock grate because your gonna lose atleast 3mph but if you ride more in chop id say try it. wouldnt hurt. You already have advantage over stock with the pump extension kit
    Last edited by JerseyKid; 06-07-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: "t"

+1
    I use the WORX and like it. I really can't tel you how it compares to the stocker though because I did too many mods over the winter to know what helped the most. I am running just under 75mph now with a nice stable ride. It still comes unhooked in the choppy conditions you describe, but not as bad. It really seems to stay hooked better in 2' rollers than it did with the stock grate.

Thread Information