Tight steering on 2008 Waverunner

My 2008 VX Deluxe suffers from tight steering.

At the beginning of last season the steering was relatively loose and easy to turn. Then almost all of the sudden the steering tightened up. I assumed salt water had infiltrated the bearings and gave the ski a good freshwater washdown. This helped for a few days but the steering always got tighter.

This year as I was prepping the ski I lubed the cables and nozzle pivot points but the problem still exists. I isolated the problem to the steering head when I disconnected the cable to the steering arm under the cowling. I sprayed the steering box with WD40 and that worked fine until the next day. Now the steering is as tight as ever.

Is there some type of tension adjustment that I am missing?

Please help!

-njjoe

Running into the same problem with an 07 VX with 40 hours. Would love to know what to look for.

+1
    Lubing cables is pointless. It doesn't work. The lubing process is more for the cable ends. When the cable gets tough to move freely inside the sheath, it's time to replace steering cable.

Maybe try lubing it with something like grease instead of WD40?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by njjoe View Post

At the beginning of last season the steering was relatively loose and easy to turn. Then almost all of the sudden the steering tightened up. I assumed salt water had infiltrated the bearings and gave the ski a good freshwater washdown. This helped for a few days but the steering always got tighter.

This year as I was prepping the ski I lubed the cables and nozzle pivot points but the problem still exists. I isolated the problem to the steering head when I disconnected the cable to the steering arm under the cowling. I sprayed the steering box with WD40 and that worked fine until the next day. Now the steering is as tight as ever.

Please help!

-njjoe

Joe, it's unfortunately time for a new steering cable. We have them on this page of the forums store. Item 2
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....CONTROL-CABLES

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by njjoe View Post

Please help!

-njjoe

Joe, it's unfortunately time for a new steering cable. We have them on this page of the forums store. Item 2
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....CONTROL-CABLES

Thought he said the steering head (handlebars) were tight with the cable disconnected......if that is the case then I would strip down the steering column, clean, lube & re assemble. Heavy salt build up can cause this.

The bushing in your steering assembly are shot. No fixing, buy a good used on one ebay. Been at this point 100000 times. Cheaper to replace then try and make it work..

Thread Information