Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bphillips

2004 GP 1300R clicks when hit start button

I am new ot teh site nad it looks like people are pretty helpful on here.

I just bought 2 new skis, 1 from a delaer and the other from a private seller. The 2004 GP 1300R was from a private seller. i replaced teh abttery right away since he told me it was the original battery. We took it out on the lake this last weekend and it ran great for about 45 minutes. Then the engine died and it became very sluggish and would not get over 35 mph. this took quite awhile to get to as well. it would not accelarate on turns and whip you around at all.

I put it back on the trailer to check it out and now it will only click when i push start button. I changed teh battery with my other ski and it does the same thing.

Any suggestions? Starter realy, starter? really hope I can fix myself so i dont have to drop another 400 or more on the starter.

Thanks.

try the starter solienoid

+1
    If the ski became very sluggish while riding and shut off you probably have more then a battery issue. Do a compression check of the cylinders and see what that tells you.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    If the engine just died at wide open and would not turn over after that sounds like you had a seizure.

Did it start back after it died?? if so then it didn't seiz. and that's good!!!!!
    as for the clicking try ur starter solenoid, My kawa 750 did the same thing and that's what it was. u need a new one but first try tapping on top of the soleniod to loosen it. sometimes it will loosen for a min and turn over then stop again but atleast that will tell u if that's the prob. as for it dieing on the water i'm not sure, maybe water in the fuel?

+1
    Pull the plugs and see what they look like. It will probably turn over with the plugs out. Put you finger over each hole while pushing the starer. Oh and pull the throttle to wide open. Try a rubber band. Sounds exactly like mine did and had a lean condition and took out a piston. Good luck.

Is there any oil in the bottom of the hull? Oil lines have been known to fall off on the GPR.

...probably not the answer but have you tightened down your battery leads/terminal properly? I say that b/c I just changed some batteries out and forgot to tighten the the leads all the way and got the clicking sound... . It's easy to get catiwampie since the little rubber battery lead-boots can get caught underneath not making proper contact.... .

bphillips
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    If the engine just died at wide open and would not turn over after that sounds like you had a seizure.
    I had it inspected nad they said the crankshaft was seized...I am so mad at the person who sold this ski to me. i thought he would be decent since he owns a powersport company in town. Not only do I have this problem, but I also had to replace the trailer because it looks like he never put grease in thebearings and they were down to nothing!

+1
    damn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information