Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel.

Phil

Fuel.

I have been out on the Ski a few times this year and just wondering about the fuel. I dont mind paying for it etc but I have a Kawasaki STXR 1200cc - 2003. It has a 40 litre tank to make it lighter for racing. So it costs about 50-60 quid to fill up. The first time I went out to see I ran out quite quick but thought I would give it another go before I made judgement.

We went out on Sunday and did about a 20 mile round trip if that from Brid to Filey in England, UK, and the full tank of fuel was gone. This meant me carrying a 5litre jerry can and having a 20 litre in the car. I put the 5 litre can in the storage compartment and had to stop on a beach to fill up, it didnt even touch the side, this meant us getting beached and the lifeguard towing us out in his 4x4. It also meant cutting our trip short and not going to Scarborough. and thinking I was going to get stranded near Flamborough head which is really rough water. The 4 stroke supercharged skis I go with still have loads of fuel left yet more powerful but bigger tank.

My question is basically, does that fuel consumption sound about right or way off? It was a race ski and has been tuned and has all after markey parts like carbs, air filters etc. Like I said I dont mind paying for the fuel but it could get really expensive like over 100 pound mark at the min filling up the containers and ski plus the £23 launch fee.

And the hassle of carrying a 5 litre jerry can and having to fill up. Are there any options like getting a bigger tank? Is this how high powered 2 strokes eat fuel? If so then I happy and just get used to it.

I was thinking about getting a Yamaha GP1300R in the future, this would just be the same?

Sorry its a bit long.

Cheers

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    You lost most of us Yanks with Quid and Litres.

Phil
    What units do you lot use over there?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    40 litres/10.57 gallons seems a tad small for the 2003 STXR. unless someone took the time to swap the tank out for a smaller unit. even at that if you want to save weight just dont fill the tank up all the way. up to 2003 they had a 14 gallon/53 litre tank. 2004/2005 i beleive they switched to a 16.4 gallon tank.

My question is basically, does that fuel consumption sound about right or way off? It was a race ski and has been tuned and has all after markey parts like carbs, air filters etc. Like I said I dont mind paying for the fuel but it could get really expensive like over 100 pound mark at the min filling up the containers and ski plus the £23 launch fee.
    if your sucking down that much fuel one needs to think what else is done besides carbs, and air filters? carbs and air filters alone shouldnt suck down that much fuel in a 20 mile ride unless its running pig rich or the carbs are entirely too big for the other mods you have done

stock @ WOT my cruising range was 55 minutes.... i could go all day running buoys at the lake on a tank of gas.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1987uk View Post
    What units do you lot use over there?
    imperial measurements....... dollars and cents, gallons, quarts miles, feet, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Phil1987uk View Post

I was thinking about getting a Yamaha GP1300R in the future, this would just be the same?
    Don't get a GPR IMO. My GP1200R was much worse on fuel than my supercharged RXP! Not to mention the most horrible ergonomics with it's bull-wide seat! If you like to feel like you're doing splits when you ride, GPR is the way to go! And also the least reliable! I like the look and style of the GPR, but it's really an old school ski and one that isn't that good other than looks IMO! My RXP is night and day better in every aspect! Ergonomics alone would make the sale to me! Whatever you get, don't get a GPR and I wouldn't even get a 2-stroke period IMO unless you're going for old and straight up playful like a Waveblaster or a stand-up! Maybe a new VXR/VXS?

Phil
    Im not sure what else is done to it all I know is it was an ex race ski so its tuned up.
    Yea the GPRs do look really good, I thought they were good never knew they had problems, I did hear about the seats been big.
    I got this 2 stoke as its my first ski so wanted to start with a 2 stroke to learn then move onto 4 stroke plus needed to save up more for a big 4 stroke.
    So is my ski using the right amount of fuel on average? If that is right I will just deal with it, just thought if its way out could do something about it.

Cheers.

+1
    when i had my 02 stx-r it would chug fuel if i rode like crazy but if i rode mellow with the occasional romp it was ok after i tweaked motor it was all over. fuel consumption was through the roof!!! my gpr is the same way and now i gotta roll with high octane but i love it !!!!!!!!

Phil
    Okay, it sounds as if mine is using the right amount then, I am okay with that. I think something I need to get fixed is the speedo as it shows revs and everything else but the speed so if I get that working then I can use the speed to tell how much I will be using. It always revs high so doesnt help using the rev counter.

+1
    My current GP1300R can get about 60 miles out of about 12 gallons of gas (holds 15.9 Gallons) and that is usually getting after it (lots of WOT runs) in the twisties/rivers and or in the choppy water of the salt water. My modified RXT also got about 60 miles out of about 13 gallons of gas in similar conditions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information