Thread: SHO break-in

+1

SHO break-in

Hi all. Sorry if this topic has been posted before. I got a new yamaha SHO and I'm curious about how I broke it in and if there will be any problems. For the 1st hour I kept it at low RPM's, after the first hour I let it cool for awhile then took it out again with WOT for a couple of short runs (I couldn't resist). Then ran it 2/3 throttle for another couple hours. After that we went to some smooth water and I ran it WOT for about 30 minutes, let it cool for 10, WOT for 30, etc. After that I kept it pretty tame (2/3 throttle most of the time). The ski now has 6 hours and I'll be riding it all weekend then doing the 1st oil change/service. Any advice is welcome. Hopefully my lack of self control won't be a problem. This is my first "new"'ski. I've always bought used. Thanks and take care all.

I always follow the manual, if its still running guess your fine. Who knows.....

+1
    Break it in hard, and it'll run hard... The hardest thing on rings, is to be broken in under no load. This causes them to burnish instead of actually seating... Everything else is broken in on startup pretty much..

I let my new FZR warm up for 5min at 2-3k(no wake), then 30-45min of varied throttle and short WOT blasts up to 60-65mph.. Then let it cool, and let'er eat...

I made it all of 3 hours before stretch out. First hour I kept it under 5K....Second hour under 6K....Third hour I made short WOT blasts. I now have 4 hours and it should be good to go....I hope lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Struck View Post
    Break it in hard, and it'll run hard... The hardest thing on rings, is to be broken in under no load. This causes them to burnish instead of actually seating... Everything else is broken in on startup pretty much..

I let my new FZR warm up for 5min at 2-3k(no wake), then 30-45min of varied throttle and short WOT blasts up to 60-65mph.. Then let it cool, and let'er eat...
    That's exactly how I went about it on my new RXP. I don't have much experience with brand new PWC's, but I've owned more brand new MX bikes than I can shake a stick at and I've always pretty much ridden them normal right off the showroom and never had a problem over the years. In fact, my strongest and most reliable machines where the ones I rode hard right off the showroom (there's a difference between riding hard and straight up 'abuse'). Even now that my RXP is broken in and I've already done the 10hr maintenance (I'm at 17hr+ on the ski), I still believe in not 'abusing' it.

But yea, I'm a believer in seating the rings with some load and not babying it. I remember a read up where they broke down two brand new engines, one was babied during break-in, and the other was hammered on, and the one that was babied showed black blow-by past the rings down the piston skirt and the one that was hammered on the pistons was clean with no blow-by. I don't remember if this was a 2-stoke though, this was years ago when I read that article.

So yea, with my new ski I basically did exactly what Lightning Struck said with my RXP and it runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil and the oil was perfectly clean just like it was poured fresh out of the bottle when I took it in for the 10hr maintenance (I check the oil every ride).

Thread Information