Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

carb rebuild prices?

not sure if this is right place...just curious if there is a ballpark "standard" for carb job on an '01 gp1200...I know what oside charges and would LOVE for him to do mine, just not sure I have the balls to pull them to send to him...I'm thinking I could get them off, not sure if I could get back on!...So, if I need a shop to do everything, what kind of price ranges out there? thanks for any replies.....

+1
    It is most likely a $600 job at a dealer. Carbs are very labor intensive from what I have heard. Parts will run around 150 and the rest will be all labor. I payed a yamaha mechanic outside of work to do them and he charged me $450. I already need my carbs rebuilt and am leaning towards paying someone to help me pull them and shipping them to o'side as that is really the cheapest way by far. Unless you can do it yourself which I wouldn't recomend unless you really know your stuff.

yea, I'd say that would be fair...I wouldn't think of doing the carbs, MAYBE will remove them for o-side tho....

+1
    They are not hard to take off. Oside does a great job and only uses factory factory parts.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    They are not hard to take off. Oside does a great job and only uses factory factory parts.
    +1 They are not that hard to remove. 6 bolts, 4 allens 2 fuel lines and 2 cables. (for the rack itself) Its actually harder to get the exhaust stinger out. You'll kick your ass if you pay a shop hundreds to do it and then realize later you could have done it yourself.

yea, your probably right!...If I do this, should I do anything else while apart? is there a separate fuel pump? if so, is this part of rebuild? maybe new oil lines? will they be bolt on and go with no need for adjustment? cat/con is gone..thanks!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    No seperate fuel pump, but replacing the oil lines while your at it is an exellent idea. There is a basic setup for the high and low adjusting screws and also a pop-off pressure setting. Read thru the how-to's section and you will find many threads that will help you along the way.

do it yourself its a very easy job to do , make sure they are synced as well .

yes, prolly will. my confidence is climbing, I did the cat/con removal, flapper removal(tho I screwed that up and lost it along with the screen in the tank) and just installed the waveater clips...what intimidates me most is just remembering were everything goes!..if I do i'll take some pics...I have one more minor thing to check before I admit its the carbs, been eliminating all other stuff as this is the most expensive/time consuming job..thanks for the help!

+1
    Pictures, zipLock baggies for bolts/parts, masking tape to label, a service manual, and this forum will help make sure everything gets back where it belongs. The GPR crowd is VERY active here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information