02 FX140 - new to me machine

I picked up a one-owner ski from, literally, an old lady over in Augusta, GA. Well, not old, but she was a mid-50's (I'm 40), single-lady that bought the ski new and had it dealer serviced all it's life with 219 hours on the clock when I got it. It's in beautiful condition and overall, I couldn't be more pleased.

I have 5 kids and we bought it as a family machine primarily for tubing and kneeboarding, which is exactly what we've used it for; it now has 235 hours. Last night I hit the lake (Allatoona) for 30 minutes solo to get a sense of how the ski felt w/no kids, or tubes attached. And while I agree, it's not the fastest, nor does it turn terribly quick, it's very, very stable, which I like for the kids.

That said, I also took my GPS w/me to do a couple of speed runs and see what it runs out to. When I did a test ride before buying, I saw 53-55mph on the ski's speedometer, but haven't seen that since owning it. Last night I couldn't seem to get past 48-50mph on the ski-speedo and maxed at 47.8 on the GPS. I had the trim set nose up, water was fairly smooth - enough to stay hooked up and temps were in the low 90's. RPMs in all trim settings didn't move past 9k. There is no feeling of cavitation, delay in hook-up, or anything of the sort... My question is, should I be hitting another 5-6mph in top-speed? I wonder if the environmental conditions prevented that; air-temp, water chop, etc. When I tested the machine pre-purchase, it was at 9am on a cool morning and the lake was dead-calm glass water. Thoughts? Oh, and it is a bone-stock machine.

I came home and put my new oil evacuator to good use and went about changing the oil. It got dark before I could finish, but I'll wrap up the oil change tonight. Maybe while I'm in there I'll check the status of the plugs...

Thanks for any insight, info, or resetting of my expectations.

Mike

PS, this is my first PWC, but I have a lifelong background in street and dirt moto riding and racing. This thing is great and I'm already looking for an old-school stand-up just to satisfy the smell of 2-stroke oil that seems to be in my blood!

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds like you overfilled it with oil and soiled the air filter. Pull it out and do a gps run again. Remember, to check the oil the machine has to be hot, not cold.

+1
    Welcome to the forum.
    The FX140's were notorious for oil-clogged air filters; and it's going to happen again and again until you get rid of that restrictive filter and go with the Riva Velocity Stack Kit with Power Filter for that model; that should get you into the mid-50's; see here:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=166

Sorry guys, should have been more clear. The GPS runs were prior to changing the oil - in fact, the purpose was not only to see what kind of top speed I would hit, but also to thoroughly heat the engine up in order to change the oil. The dipstick read 2/3rds full when hot and the filter is/was dry as a bone. I have not checked the plugs, but I can't imagine that they're black, or wet from oil as it had the proper amount in it when I evac'd it out.

I agree YoYamma...I'm familiar with velocity stacks and free-flow filters on motos, so I can definitely see adding those to the M-R1 engine.

Barring an oil-soaked filter and wet plugs - any other reason y'all might think of for a slower than typical machine? I'm still thinking that the warm-air, light chop on the lake and a 1/2 full tank of gas could have been the reason.

Also, being new to PWCs, I'm researching a lot to learn how these machines mechanically work beyond the block. Can anyone point me to a good resource that explains some of the basics such as, what is a wear ring, how the pump works, function of the waterbox, etc. I know that they're basic Q's, and while I'm beginning to understand, I have some big gaps in my knowledge.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    The FX140's were notorious for oil-clogged air filters; and it's going to happen again and again until you get rid of that restrictive filter and go with the Riva Velocity Stack Kit with Power Filter for that model; that should get you into the mid-50's; see here:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=166
    Yowsers...$250 to breathe better...!!

Thread Information