Can you overfill the oil reservoir on a 2002 Virage carburerated ski?

I was at the lake this past weekend with a 2002 virage project ski that I do not know its history. The ski seemed to run well at first, but then was shutting down and bogging. I have just cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel lines.
    I did add oil to the reservoir right up to the top of the tank last weekend at the lake. could this be a source of the problem. The carb looked pretty clean.

hey I doubt that would be your problem, when u say clean the carbs did u take them apart and inspect them?, also did u set the carbs adjusting screws to factory specs, just a thought

Are you sure your limiter is not kicking on, what rpm is it surging at?

It was doing over 35 with plenty of throttle left, then I hit open water and went WOT and the ski died. I was able to restart it, but it was not running right. It would run a while then die, thus starting the cycle again. Somethimes it would seem to rev up all the way and some times would not go over 4000.
    I took the carbs apart. There was not much in the screen. Checked all the tiny holes and replaced the Tempo lines. I should have the ski back together tomorrow night.
    I will reset the screws back to factory specs. What are the specs?
    I am also changing out the module that controls crarging because I was seeing 16.4 volts on the display. It would start at 12 and then as time and rpm increased so did the voltage.
    Both cylinders are at 110 psi with a sears guage.

Quote Originally Posted by crustbuster View Post
    Are you sure your limiter is not kicking on, what rpm is it surging at?

The only thing overfilling the oil will do is dump oil in the hull. You have fuel and/or electrical problems.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Any warning message on the MFI display?
    Does it say 'Reverse' ?

Is the display otherwise working correctly?

Correct spark plugs installed?

Do you know if the CDI or magneto stator were previously replaced?
    CDI part number?

No red flashing Warning light, Display works fine. The ski was showing the normal display not reverse. The plugs are BPR8ES, when I pulled the plugs and they were dry and have a light brownish color.
    On an interesting side note, the display added over 500 hours from 23hrs when I put he battery in last fall. This weekend after riding it reset itself to zero. I had read that it would in another thread and it did just that.
    This ski had a no spark condition when I got it. I bought a used CDI PN#4010404 and when I put it in the ski fired right up. I don't know about the magneto.
    The over charging (16.4 volts) can that make it run bad? I plan to swap out the LR-505 module rather than bypassing it since I have an extra. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Any warning message on the MFI display?
    Does it say 'Reverse' ?

Is the display otherwise working correctly?

Correct spark plugs installed?

Do you know if the CDI or magneto stator were previously replaced?
    CDI part number?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepatter View Post
    ... On an interesting side note, the display added over 500 hours from 23hrs when I put he battery in last fall. This weekend after riding it reset itself to zero.

... I plan to swap out the LR-505 module rather than bypassing it since I have an extra. What do you think?
    You need the LR module to provide battery charging.

The high charging voltage and the MFI hour reset makes me think you have an electrical problem somewhere, perhaps a bad ground.

Start with the black battery cable at the engine. Remove and clean the bolt and cable end, and the engine bolt hole. You want a clean and solid metal-to-metal connection.

Work you way through all the ground connections, make sure they are all clean, dry, and tight.

Do the same with the Red and Red/Purple wires.

So the only ground connections are the one one the left rear corner of the engine and the ones that strap down the LR-505 module in the box right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepatter View Post
    So the only ground connections are the one one the left rear corner of the engine and the ones that strap down the LR-505 module in the box right?
    The electrical box ground comes through the stator black wire. The stator black wire is internally grounded through the stator mounting bolts to the engine case. That black stator wire provides the only ground link between engine and electrical box.

Within the electrical box the black terminals then provide ground to everything else that needs ground.

Thread Information