FX140 burning oil?

Bought 2nd hand 4 months ago put 10 hours on it. When I got it had been sitting up 2 years. Checked oil and none to be seen on dip stick. I changed oil before running it and put Mobile 1 Sythetic 10w40 (one especially for motorcycle engines) well last week oil beeper went off right after starting before planeing out so I stopped it kept beeping turned off and checked oil. NONE on stick again a friend told me Yamalube was thicker and may be the problem but its still 10w40 so don't see how but I am going to change it again but use yamalube. Any ideas? Runs great, 65 hrs on it

+1
    Craig,

I have the FX HO Cruiser 2004. Same as yours except it is 160HP. At what rate you are consuming oil?
    I have run both Synthetic and 4W in mine. Oil consumption barely increased with Synthetic RedLine. Almost identical to what it was with 4W. Synthetic is a little thinner or easier to pass the rings and valves for the engines that were not designed around Synthetic.

Synthetic offers excellent lubrication but may not provide good pressure at the top end due to oil escaping passed the rings and valves.

If you tell me how much oil you lose at every how many hour I can compare it to mine.

Changing back to 4W may make it a little better but at the rate you are saying, I assure you, that you will be consuming oil with 4W as well!

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Check your oil after you warm up the engine. Could be it is just low. The FX is a little different procedure to checking the oil.

+1
    +1.

+1
    Guys,

His oil beeper has gone off! He was definitely low on oil!

i have had a 140 that sat for a bit and when i went to start it the oil buzzer went off so i shut it off, waited a min fired it back up and no oil beeper andthe oil tank was starting to fill. Let it idle for the reccomended 6 mins on the hose and shut it off and checked the oil and it was at proper level

So i have seen a ski with the proper oil level set off the buzzer. I know my FX140 an 08 with about 70 something hours on it will consume about half a quart per the 8-9 month riding season. I dont ride hard, no super extended times of WOT but seriously varied throttle. but when you have something that turns 10,xxx rpm its gonna consume a little oil due to vapor and some oil burning.

Make surte there is not a bunch of oil in the bottom of the hull though i have seen the oil filter rust trhough on some seriously neglected enginecompartments and the oil will leak out there

not sure at what rate its burning, It was correct when I changed oil at halfway mark on stick after running engine 1 minute. Has been 10 hours but I have not checked it till beeper went off guess I will start checking everytime for now on. Will admit I run it full throttle alot cause it only tops out at 54mph. Had to sell SHO to pay ex wife off. There is a place couple of hours from my house that sells only used skis and has 200+ in stock thinking of going and trading mine and some $ for another SHO or RXT something with atleast 215HP

+1
    Did you change the filter when you changed the oil?

Although it may or may not be the problem, have you checked the compression?
    I guarantee you the used ski place that you mention will check it before they take your ski as a trade.

+1
    Craig,

So I did understand you correctly the first time. You must have burned about 3/4 qrt in that 10 hours. A little too much. You must have been riding hard most of it. Full throttle or heavy chop with lots of loading and loading. If not, then it is a little on the high side.

SHO and RXT sounds awesome man! Good luck in whatever you end up doing!

P.S. BTW, 1 minute is not enough time. Should be ran 7-15 minutes depending on outside temps. There is a good chance that your 1/2 way mark was actually about L mark if you let her run and then settle! So there is a good chance you only burnt about 8 oz. How many qrts you extracted and replaced?

Thread Information