Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rebuild 215HP or order a new motor

I have a 2007 RXT that the engine gave out. We have taken the motor out and looks like the timing chain broke and got 5 valves when doing so. This machine has about 63 hrs on it. I was looking to rebuild but after pricing parts it is about half of what a rebuilt motor will cost me from SBT. SBT also gives a 1 yr warranty and if we are missing something in my current motor I may be throwing money away and starting over. I am leaning towards the purchase of the SBT motor because of the reason stated above. What do you think?

I also wonder do I do a complete rebuild of the supercharger or just replace the washers? The super charger feels tight with no play in it. I really am not into the speed or spending losts of cash. I do want a dependablemachine that I am not worried will breake down when my son is out riding on it.

Thanks

+1
    I have heard that SBT motors arent any good. Especially the 4 strokes. People wont touch them. We personally own 2 of their 2 stroke motors and had no issues at all. I think I would do it yourself and get the parts if I where you. The supercharger isnt that hard to take out. So run it till you get closer to 100 hours. Make sure you got good washers in it though.

+1
    IMO do it yourself and build a tough motor eg riva pisons etc

The 07 still has crap ceramic washers. So you will want to rebuild the SC with new
    riva metal or brp oem 08+ washers before you run it again.
    IMO, stay away from sbt 4 strokes. they don't use many oem parts for their rebuilds.
    Also, as I have heard, timing chains break when the "ceramic" bits of the s/c washers
    "grind" into them. So that may be the reason for the problem to begin with.

Rebuild yourself sounds good but I really know nothing about these things and a friend that is a mechanic and pretty savy on things is helping me. My problem is getting some of the stuff done and knowing who to trust or go to. I had one guy say dont worry about the head just put new valves in it and go forward. This is a sea doo dealer and he said if you check the scharger closely it probably has a problem that caused the chain to break. We looked and the charger seems fine but we have not taken it apart.

Who has had a 4tec SBT motor that have problems? The reason I lean towards them is the 1yr unconditional warranty and they have been in business for quite sometime.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    i have an SBT and so far it seems solid, it runs strong and pulls hard. so what if it blows,get another one,you rebuild and it blows,then that BLOWS. just my .02

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Warranties are great.... SBT motors aren't. Good marketing, and good quality are two completely different things! You always get what you pay for, and next to nothing in their engines are oem components... as they try to re-manufacture everything in house to reduce costs. IMO.... if you drop an SBT engine in that thing... sell it before the warranty is out. They will not cover any labor costs to replace a blown engine either.... if your paying someone to swap it out. SBT's bread and butter are the yamaha GP 800-1200-1300 two stroke engines. Check with a Sea-Doo dealer for a price on a factory refurbished engine (they have a warranty also). If you plan on keeping the ski.... that would be your best choice, if you don't want to rebuild your current engine.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Warranties are great.... SBT motors aren't. Good marketing, and good quality are two completely different things! You always get what you pay for, and next to nothing in their engines are oem components... as they try to re-manufacture everything in house to reduce costs. IMO.... if you drop an SBT engine in that thing... sell it before the warranty is out. They will not cover any labor costs to replace a blown engine either.... if your paying someone to swap it out. SBT's bread and butter are the yamaha GP 800-1200-1300 two stroke engines. Check with a Sea-Doo dealer for a price on a factory refurbished engine (they have a warranty also). If you plan on keeping the ski.... that would be your best choice, if you don't want to rebuild your current engine.
    So far we have heard from one person with actual experience with an SBT motor (with a good experience) , and a bunch of "I have heard", and other conjecture. I personally have had good luck with SBT components. In fact, I have had a bunch of bad issues with OEM components. It is not right to trash a company's reputation unless you have actual experience with their products.

brp has factory rebuild center. Check with your dealer on how much a oem rebuilt engine would be. SBT Sofar Beyond Trash you would not believe!

Quote Originally Posted by slydogge View Post
    brp has factory rebuild center. Check with your dealer on how much a oem rebuilt engine would be. SBT Sofar Beyond Trash you would not believe!
    Again, what basis to you have to make this statement? Have you been to both BRP's and SBT's remanufacturing operations? (I have..)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information