05 FX140 Cruiser - Good deal?

So I am in the market for a ski but didn't want to spend 10k+. I was hoping to budget around 4-5k for something my wife and I could get out on the water more. Most of the riding is just going to be on the river here in Maryland and I would love to make the trip to annapolis just to do it.

The ski looks to be in great condition and well cared for. It is a 2005 Yamaha FX140 Cruiser with 90 hours and a Galvanized Load Rite trailer.

They are asking $5500. Is this a fair price? It's been kind of hard to compare pricing since there aren't really many ski's posted.

Are these ski's reliable? Good enough to tow a tube? Looking at years on good service with just general maintenance?

Very much appreciated!

FWIW, I just paid $4.5k for my 02 FX140 w/a single ComFab trailer. It's in excellent, single-owner condition with 210 hours. Runs really, really well and I'm satisfied with the price and overall purchase.

So I picked it up.. Got a pretty good deal I think, at least worth it to me. Hope to get out on the water a lot.

Took it out for a quick ride last night and it ran great. Very happy with the purchase.

One thing I notice compared to a old 1000 Waverunner 2 stroke we had before is how if you nail the throttle from sitting still it will rev so freely and sometimes bounce off the rev limiter, almost like the prop is spinning too fast and not getting traction.

From a start I have to ease into the throttle until it's up to speed a little, is there anything that can be done about that?

Thanks again!

+1
    That's called cavitation! Congrats on the ski.

Check the impeller and housing for scratches, dented prop and such.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    That's called cavitation! Congrats on the ski.

Check the impeller and housing for scratches, dented prop and such.
    I thought you only experienced cavitation when it was airaited water? Not taking off from a dead stop or the likes.

The impeller, housing, underside of the ski everything looks great.

+1
    Cavitation is essentially the creation of aerated water by the rapid acceleration of the prop. You can address it with a wear ring, an aftermarket prop or sometimes an aftermarket intake grate - or you can just accelerate more gradually (but where's the fun in that?)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by doofoo View Post
    I thought you only experienced cavitation when it was airaited water? Not taking off from a dead stop or the likes.

The impeller, housing, underside of the ski everything looks great.
    That is one reason, but there are other reasons as well.

Ski really shouldnt have that issue. Id check the space around the impeller and the housing with a feeler gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    That is one reason, but there are other reasons as well.

Ski really shouldnt have that issue. Id check the space around the impeller and the housing with a feeler gauge.
    I'll have to take a look at that. Is there anywhere online that has the specs?

I guess if either is worn I would just be looking at a replacement of the housing/wear ring and impeller? either way, if the aftermarket impeller is going to help it get up to speed faster, I'd probably like that anyways so might as well freshen things up.

Thread Information