Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me please!! 1996 SL900

Hey everyone I'm Kyle, I'm new to the site,

I just bought a 96 Polaris sl900 and the guy told me the carb's just got rebuilt but said they need to be adjusted.

well i got home and check everything i have great compression 150 in all three. I have good spark. I took the carb's off to and they are spotless.

I took it out the next day and it doesn't get up and go and when it finally does it just sounds like its hitting rev limit, just bogging or flooding its self what it sounds like.

when i have it out of the water i will give it full throttle it bogs out but it sounds like its revving pretty high tho, so i need some help!

I've been reading about limp mode and my gas gauge only has one bar and my oil gauge is only one bar and the are full, so is that my problem or is it something else?

someone please help me out!

Thanks, kyle

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome Kyle

Is the MFD showing RPM?
    Is the MFD generally working properly?

The Low Fuel warning with full fuel tank is caused by the fuel sender float sinking. This is a common problem and a replacement float will fix it.

Low Oil warning with full tank means something is wrong with the oil level sender or the wiring. If you remove the sender from the oil tank and slide the float upwards does the MFD oil level change? It will take a minute to register the change, so be patient.

You should never apply full throttle for more than a second or two as it can cause the engine to rev into the hard rev limiter. Out of the water it doesn't take much throttle to get the engine RPM fairly high.

Have you set the carb adjustment screws to the factory specification?

Low fuel or oil won't put it into limp. Just make the light flash. I believe only over heating will put it into limp mode.

well i cant really see to much on it besides the oil and fuel the rest is all messed up. I cant find what the factory settings are on the carb, ive been trying to find out what they are but just cant. so my ski doesnt have a limp mode besides overheating?

and ooh yeah my ski is bored 30 over.

+1
    i thought low oil will put it in limp mode ???
    open the electrical box and remove the grey or tan wire from the cdi that goes to the teminal board and see how it runs if it runs ok then it is in limp mode

+1
    This is from the Polaris service manual. Looks like on the 96 SL 900 Fuel and Overheat limits RPM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polariswarnings.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	241506  

so how can i bypass the fuel light? because it says its low but theres a full tank and can someone help me find the carb specs? I need to set them to factory. thanks everyone for there help so far!

+1
    Here are the Carb specs I pulled from the book, I am unsure how you you can "trick" the fuel guage to be full. I know it works off of oHms, I think i heard of someone simply touching the 2 wires from the gas sending unit together to create a "full" tank, perhaps somebody else can chime in. Also, It looks like the 1996 sl 900 does not actually have a rpm limit mode like most Polaris models. If you look at the page I previously attached it appears that on that particular model it actually electronically changes the timing, thus resulting in reduced perfomance, this I would imagine have similar effects to RPM limit. However is not like other polaris models that specifically limit the RPM,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sl900carb.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	241509  

Well huh. My fuel light has gone blinky blinky blinky ever since I owned the ski almost 12 years and I have never known it retarded the timing. Maybe that's why I can not tune out my takeoff bog I can still hit top end around 6400 rpms 57-58 gps. Anyone know more about how much it retards??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information