Arrow Polaris Virage TXi 2002 - Backfire, EMM codes 12 & 17

Thanks for all the help!! I have been reading so many of your posts for days!! I was just able to hook up the led and pull the service codes, it pulled a 72?? But I do not have a service manual and I am unable to download it from the link provided? I was wondering if you could tell me what that code is??

Thanks again for all the the awesome information!! This site is GREAT!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JENNAANDRICK View Post
    ... I was just able to hook up the led and pull the service codes, it pulled a 72?? ... I do not have a service manual ...I was wondering if you could tell me what that code is?? ...
    Welcome to the Hulk

I don't know of a 72 service code on the Ficht EMM. Possible I suppose, but not listed in the documents I have seen.

Are you sure that was the LED sequence count?

yes when i plug in the lanyard it glows steady then 1 short 7 quick lights then 1 short and 2 quick i did get the service manual and there is no 72 any ideas

+1
    yes when i plug in the lanyard it glows steady then 1 short 7 quick lights then 1 short and 2 quick i did get the service manual and there is no 72 any ideas
    What do you mean by '1 short' ?

There is a long pause, then the cycle repeats - correct?

Could that be codes 17 and 12 ?

YES, you were right!! Thanx!! Thats what I originally thought was the problem..... the TPS! And the battery!! From cranking and back firing.... I now have to replace the starter bendix too!! When the machine back fired it broke the bendix! It seems impossible to do this without pulling the motor, I have read all of your posts, I've already had the fuel tank and complete fuel pump apart and cleaned everything and have put it all back together. It wouldn't be hard to move it forward but it seems easier to pull the motor to replace the bendix and check the magnets in the stator?? Any thoughts?? Thanx!!

+1
    YES, you were right!! Thanx!! Thats what I originally thought was the problem..... the TPS! And the battery!! From cranking and back firing.... I now have to replace the starter bendix too!! When the machine back fired it broke the bendix!

It seems impossible to do this without pulling the motor, I have read all of your posts, I've already had the fuel tank and complete fuel pump apart and cleaned everything and have put it all back together. It wouldn't be hard to move it forward but it seems easier to pull the motor to replace the bendix and check the magnets in the stator ...
    Backfiring often means the EMM needs repair.

To replace the Bendix with the engine in the hull is very difficult, but not impossible. Removing the engine seems like a lot of work, but it makes working on the flywheel area so mush easier.

If it were me, I would arrange to send the EMM off to DFI for checking, and repair if needed. While that is in progress, work on repairing the Bendix and checking the flywheel.

And I would order a new TPS to have on hand, just in case.

I took the motor out it took about an hour,got the stator opened up and it all looks good besides the bendix. Im goin to clean it all up put back together w a new bendix.I took the EMM covers off and you were right again there was a burn mark and some kind of silicone leaking out.I will send it out for repair.I also omed the tps and it was also bad.So I need to order a tps ,gaskets and a new battery.W/O your help it would have cost more in labor than it was worth.Thanks a million for your help!

+1
    .. I also ohmed the TPS and it was also bad...
    Pigtail style TPS can not be tested with an ohm-meter. They have electronics inside and require 5 volt power to function.

Still a good idea to buy a new one

Banned User
    +1
    As long as you have it apart, might not be a bad idea to replace the front crank seal if the engine has any hours on it at all........

Thread Information