Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new guy with a few questions

Ok guys I picked up a pair of 97 sl900's.
    Question 1= What would you pay for the pair with a double trailer?
    I bought them from an older couple, both look like they were well taken care of with only minor scratches and came with polaris covers. TEST DRIVE I'm 225LBS, ski 1 has 76 hours and did 65 MPH on the dream o meter and ski 2 has 64 hours and did 62 MPH, both started and ran perfect. ski 1 has nothing wrong with it but ski 2 has a bad fuel float and stuck/non working trim(must be why ski 2 has lower hours). trailer is great with new looking tires...

Question 2= After buying I did a compression test and I came up with thiese numbers.
    Ski 1 (76 hours) was MAG 158,161,152 looks like the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt (no paint just bare aluminum) could this ski possibly had the first two pistons redone and the carbs dipped clean?
    Ski 2 (64 hours) has painted black carbs to match motor and compression was MAG 156,156,155 everything looks to be factory stock on this one.

With out getting into the cdi case both have the black wire to the ground so I believe they have not been upgraded yet. Whats your thoughts on my first ski buy?

+1
    Where in Chicago are you ?
    Where do you plan on riding?

I'd say around $1000- $1500 each,is a deal for most anything that runs.
    Cheap trailer would be $500 minimum.

The stock carbs are powder coated black. With some age, the color does come off easily.
    With the small black wires at the battery,My first guess would be "original " ignition system.

The trim motors corrode,get stuck. Pull it off and take a look.

+1
    I don't know much about your skis.The motor compression sound great on the #2 ski. But The first ski with the middle being 161 sounds high. He must of had shaved the head or put a thiner head gasket in it. Did he tell you so or to put 92 octane in it? I was told that you don't want more than 5 psi differences between cylinders. May be re-ring the 152 cylinder. But it will most likely be OK to leave it. Off the top of my head I don't know what the stock compression is so post to be. Most skis are 155 psi. Sound like you got a real good deal on older skis. Some one that knows more about your skis will chime in on this thread hopefully. I don't know that much about triple motors. Sorry If I didn't help

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    I don't know much about your skis.The motor compression sound great on the #2 ski. But The first ski with the middle being 161 sounds high. He must of had shaved the head or put a thiner head gasket in it. Did he tell you so or to put 92 octane in it? I was told that you don't want more than 5 psi differences between cylinders. May be re-ring the 152 cylinder. But it will most likely be OK to leave it. Off the top of my head I don't know what the stock compression is so post to be. Most skis are 155 psi. Sound like you got a real good deal on older skis. Some one that knows more about your skis will chime in on this thread hopefully. I don't know that much about triple motors. Sorry If I didn't help
    No he didn't tell me to run 92 octane as a matter of fact he said they have both been maintained/winterized by a polaris dealer. I never thought to ask if they had work done to them..

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Where in Chicago are you ?
    Where do you plan on riding?

I'd say around $1000- $1500 each,is a deal for most anything that runs.
    Cheap trailer would be $500 minimum.

The stock carbs are powder coated black. With some age, the color does come off easily.
    With the small black wires at the battery,My first guess would be "original " ignition system.

The trim motors corrode,get stuck. Pull it off and take a look.
    I live neer 95th and Kedzie and run them at my camper on lake shelbyville @ sullivan marina.
    I hooked up the trim motor directly to the battery and nothing happened so I just ordered a new one but then I read it might be froze/ rusted inside the cover. I'll swap it out with the new one and see if I can revive it for a spare.
    The guy put in new batteries and new plugs in front of me. I payed $2500 for the pair with covers and trailer.

+1
    [QUOTE=jimfc3;1715489]No he didn't tell me to run 92 octane as a matter of fact he said they have both been maintained/winterized by a polaris dealer. I never thought to ask if
    they had work done to them..[/QUOTE

I think you will be OK with 87 octane. When riding listen to the motor for pinging. That is the sign that you need more octane. I ran 87 octane on a 250-R motor with 165 psi. But some motors don't do well with that high of compression.

Thanks for the heads up. I did run it with 87 and did not hear any pinging actually it ran great but it seemed to idle to low. I'm waiting for the mauel to come in so I can adjust everything properly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfc3 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I did run it with 87 and did not hear any pinging actually it ran great.
    Sweet" You got a great price for those ski. Have fun riding them. Hopefully the gas prices will at lease stay where they are. Later.

+1
    Sounds like a couple of sweet 900's. I'm a big fan of the 97s they are an underestimated machine. Your comp numbers do sound a little high though for stock as they are above the service spec, normally the upper end of comp is about 145lbs on the stock domes with fresh rings. Maybe you have some aftermarket domes? Excess carbon build up can also cause higher than normal comp readings, you should take a look at the piston wash to be sure. What max rpm are you getting on them? How about some pics as well!

I'm the third owner of them, the couple I bought them from (there 55 and 56 yrs old)purchased them in 08 from there friends(I would guess about same age) so I would bet on the carbon build up..as far as the RPM I don't remember exactly but they were both running in the 64** range (I weigh 225lbs). I'll take some more pics this weekend for sure!! thiese are the only pics I have now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information