Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 Polaris SL900 No spark

I bought his ski broken. It didn't have any spark but compression numbers were good and everything else looks good.

I was told the stator had burned up. So i order another and replaced it. No it sparks but not like it should. It will spark every once in a while instead of consistent. I plug the spark plug into the boot and hold it against the head of the motor and crank it over. It will spark once then nothing for like 10 seconds sometimes more.

Of course it wont run like this so what could be the problem?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is this an original ignition system or an Upgrade Kit ignition? The CDI and stator part numbers will tell you which it is.

What is the battery voltage while cranking?

original. I did not buy the update kit. I got a stator off of ebay that came out of a 96 1050. The part number showed ot be the same so it should work. The battery is good i tried two different ones.

Could be cdi problem or still a bad stator. Did you try trimming the plug wires back ? Motor timing off maybe

Also u should still check your voltage at the battery while cranking. Had bad new battery before

Ok i have another coil i can try. It came with the ski and i suppose to be an extra. How can i set the timing or check it? I thought it had to do with adjustable magnets on the flywheel. Also is there a way to tell for sure if my stator is bad. I bought this one off of ebay and its guaranteed to work but if its no good i need to know so i can get my refund. I dont think my new stator is bad because the old one wouldn't do anything at all but this new one it will at least spark sometimes.

+1
    You need to test battery voltage while cranking.This is the first step-nothing else works without proper voltage.
    Low batt will have intermitent spark.

ok as i suspected the battery is not the problem. 11.50 volts while cranking. It seems like the spark plug sparks once then theirs a pause for a second the again and so on. My other Polaris 650 sparks twice as fast. This 900 wont run if i put a little gas down each spark plug hole which means its not sparking fast enough but it is sparking just with a pause between.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_5_7 View Post
    Ok i have another coil i can try. It came with the ski and i suppose to be an extra. How can i set the timing or check it? I thought it had to do with adjustable magnets on the flywheel.

Also is there a way to tell for sure if my stator is bad. I bought this one off of ebay and its guaranteed to work but if its no good i need to know so i can get my refund.

I dont think my new stator is bad because the old one wouldn't do anything at all but this new one it will at least spark sometimes.
    Incorrect timing setting would not cause the spark to be inconsistent.

Both stators could be bad, just in different ways. Or the CDI could be bad, or something else.

Hold down the Bilge button. Bilge pump should run. Does it now start?

There is a reason we recommend upgrading the ignition system rather than repairing the original. The new system is more reliable, and you get a brand new CDI and stator.

Why would it start with the bilge pump on? I know the update kit is better but the original is still some what reliable and will work once the bugs are worked out. Is there anyway to test the stator? I got it off of ebay and it is guaranteed to work so if its bad i need to know so i can get my refund.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information