Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did my Impeller "Swell" or did my Pump Housing "Shrink" ??

Hello out there,

Up front apologies ........... I'm sure if I knew better how to search this forum, this issue may have already been addressed, but in the interest of time (and frustration) I'm just going ahead and posting this.

Brief history, I've bought a used '94 SL 650. It was supposedly never used in salt water, and really is in quite nice shape and I got it for $500 with a nice trailer. It has been stored inside for at least 6 years (maybe longer) I rebuilt the carbs, new fuel lines, blocked off the oiler and am running 40:1 premix. I followed all of "Sticky's" advice on the "Newbie Post" and fired it up yesterday.
    I evidently did ok so far on it as it runs well on dry land. However, I noticed a lot of rattling noises coming from the propulsion system. And I do mean "A LOT". I shut it down shortly and began disassemby and inspection of the various parts. I left the pump housing mounted to the hull for simplicity and the fear of creating leaks that may not be there yet.
    Anyway, I removed the intake grate and set the impeller assy (less driveshaft) back into the pump housing to check the impeller clearance. (I previously felt for lateral play in the impeller shaft bearings on the bench, while there is a very small amount of lateral play, I don't think that is the cause of my problem) ................ When I reach into the intake area and spin the impeller, it appears to be grinding against the entire pump house uniformly and evenly. Upon closer inspection, I can clearly see rub marks all the way around the inside of the pump house and matching score marks on the edges of the impeller blades from yesterday's running. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't appear to be because of the slight play in the impeller shaft bearings ..... but rather that the impeller is just ever so slightly too big for the housing. I see no evidence of a buildup of corrosion or anything on the housing surface. Do any of you have any advice? The only reason I got this thing was because I got it so cheap (which is exactly what I could afford) and I really can't afford the big bucks to replace a bunch of the expensive propulsion parts. Can I, or even should I, start rubbing down the inner wall of the pump house with some 400 grit sand paper?

Anyway, any and all information on this would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Jeff Galloway (newbie)

Banned User
    +1
    Did you notice the rubbing with the pump bolted together or was it just pushed back together to check it. Bolting it together makes sure everything is in proper alignment. It is possible for corrosion to cause the liner in the wear ring to swell. There should be no play in the pump bearings. If there is, that is most likely your problem. When you are only dealing with a few thousandths of an inch clearance in the pump, any play in the bearings can and most likely will be a problem. If that's the problem, the good news is that a pump rebuild should only cost you about 50 bucks.

Thanks for your input Bryan,

As far as rubbing with the pump bolted together ....... When I got that engine running smoothly, there was so much noise coming out from underneath the rear of the ski that I could barely talk over it. If you can imagine 2 pick up grates were being held in by 4 very loose bolts and clanging extremely loudly together. That's the kind of noises I was hearing. Now, was that the impeller "Rubbing" against the wear ring? I don't really know. I shut it down and started tearing it down and this is what I've discovered so far. The driveshaft splines fit snugly at both ends and appears to be "True". The driveshaft coupler appears to be secured properly to the crankshaft, and I just don't know what else could cause all the clanging and banging I was hearing while running.
    You are correct that when I was turning the screw by hand, I only had the pump assy pushed in by hand. It just seemed wierd that the rubbing was so uniform ....... you know, not just on the bottom where gravity would seemingly direct any play to, but all around it. However, I agree with you about the bearing play. Upon futher reading, even though it may feel minimal, the clearance calls for only .002 to .008. So you are assuredly correct in that I need to put new bearings in it. I just wanted to do everything all at once if possible.
    Maybe both things are the problem. Loose bearings and slight swelling of the wear ring. I guess I'll just have to do the bearings and see where I am then. If it still rubs, maybe then I'll take a large hone to the wear ring?
    By the way, any suggestions on how to split the Pump Stator Housing from the Pump Nozzle without breaking either one? They're stuck together real good and I'm not having much luck splitting them. Don't I need to do that first to get to the bearings?

Again, thanks for your input,

Galloway

Banned User
    +1
    Did you have the impeller serviced before you noticed this problem? Maybe the impeller was refurbished incorrectly?

Nope, as far as I know this thing is all original. But anything is possible. I'm having trouble getting the history on it as it got passed around a family and then wound up at my boss's shop where it's been sitting in a corner for years. Someone filled the cylinders with oil, pulled the carb rack and intake for a "never got around to it" rebuild. The registration sticker expired 11-2002 and don't know if it was in the water since then. Like I said, compared to some pics I've seen on this forum, this thing is really quite clean under the hood.
    I'm gonna take your advice (and common sense) and replace the bearings to hopefully remove ALL the lateral play and see how it fits then. If the impeller still rubs the wear ring then, I might try to hone it out. If that doesn't work, or I mess it up, I'll try to find a decent used one
    By the way, did you have any suggestions on how to split the Pump Stator from the Pump Nozzle without breaking them? I'm still not sure how to get them apart.

thanks for your time.

Banned User
    +1
    Use a piece of 2x4and use it to lever the pump around. That should hopefully free it up enough to separate the pump sections

Thanks guys for the input,

Thanks Bryan on the 2X4 suggestion. Only problem is, my assy is already on the workbench. It came off the boat as a unit stuck together.
    I Went to the "How To's" and posted there too. I also saw a video of "Sticky" seperating his extension tube from the Stator Housing. He was really whacking the heck out of it with a wooden mallet to get them apart. His didn't break. So I guess I'll try it and hope for the best. It must come apart to replace these bearings, one way or the other ........... and if something breaks, I'll try for another one e-bay as suggested there.

Again, I appreciate your time to respond,

Jeff Galloway

Banned User
    +1
    Give it a few whacks with a dead blow hammer. When you can see a small gap in the joint, carefully use a screwdriver to pry them apart

Got It !!

I held the impeller and I had another guy place a 2X4 alternating on the 2 ears that stick out from the sides and he hit the 2X4 with a hammer while I held it in the air (over a box of rags) and it finally came off.

THANKS

By the way, the aft bearing looked great and I could probably re-use it (but I'm not). However, the front seals were completely rotted away and the front bearing would barely turn in my hand. Considering there is only supposed to be between .002 and .008 clearance between the impeller and the wear ring, and the amount of lateral play I felt in the impeller and stub shaft, no wonder it was clanging and banging against the wear ring.

I'm going to rebuild it, bolt it in again (less drive-shaft), and recheck the clearance. It will probably improve greatly, but if it's still rubbing, I'm gonna try a large hone on the wear ring. Worst case I guess I'll try to find a decent, (and hopefully inexpensive) used one.

Thanks Again,

Galloway

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.. Your wear ring is fine if its not bulged like a pimple in some spots if its even wear all the way around it will wear its self in by riding.. My guess is after the bearing change it will be spot on..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information