Oiling after rebuild

I'm about to start assembling my motor (05 GTX). Besides oil coating bearings, rings, etc like shop manual shows how can I "prime" oil system before first attempt to start?

Will just the light coating of oil be enough until oil pumps through all the ports, passages, and jets before making it to the bearing surfaces?

Thanks

+1
    Use a good engine lube such as the Lucas Oil Assembly Lube during the build, no need to prime the engine oil.

+1
    hold the throttle on and hold the start for 20 seconds. it wont kick over while the throttle is held in but it gives the engine a chance to pump the oil through the motor...

+1
    get some good assembly lube on all the bearings this is a poly graphite paste it will keep the bearings from wearing on initial start up and will dissolve in the engine oil. standard proceedure when doing a rebuild lots of oil on any moving part but assembly lube for the bearings and thrust washers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    get some good assembly lube on all the bearings this is a poly graphite paste it will keep the bearings from wearing on initial start up and will dissolve in the engine oil. standard proceedure when doing a rebuild lots of oil on any moving part but assembly lube for the bearings and thrust washers.
    I use the assembly lube on everything that moves inside the engine, cam shaft, rocker assembly, oil pumps, main bearings, rod bearings, wrist pins, etc. etc. Ran 5-minutes and changed the oil. Ran 30-minutes and changed the oil, then 1-hr, and finally 1-hr. All with a new oil filter each time.

Thanks for the tips. Never rebuilt an engine before and got the Lucas assembly lube. That is some tacky slippery oil. Also did the wide open throttle technique. Worked well I believe. Maybe should have done the first time with valve cover off to see oil flow at top end.

After some short time in driveway took to the river for about 45 min light run. Took valve cover off tonight to check head bolts and all looked good. Fingers crossed. Just a GTX so I'm not into performance, I just want this thing to last.

+1
    If it moves, use the assembly lube. Lucas Oil is a good brand, however I use a different one... The name is escaping me at the moment but as he said above, "If it moves, put assembly oil on it." Not really a better way to say it. When you get it running, break the engine in as you would a new ski. Let it warm up and cruise at 5k to 6k then back down. Short burst of WOT to seat the rings etc. I am sure I missed a step in there, but what the hell... I have had a lot going on this weekend...

Thread Information