+1

1997 GS problems

Hey,
    Well last weekend i decide to try them out, fair weather, about 21C and almost 0 wind.
    after riding for a while (runs great) not far from shore (200 Meters)
    i decided to take a break, and noticed that it was very unstable at idle and water would get in the footwells.
    Suddenly some big a** wakeboat FLIES by me, making a huge wake, making me fall off (didnt have time to apply throttle)
    having the DESS key on me, i flipped over , but the engine ran for a good 30 seconds after i fell, WHY?
    and after alot of pain and struggling got it to flip over.
    It did not start the engine compartment was FLOODED 3/4 of the way.

in the end , i killed the battery trying to start it, put it on anchor, and swam to get my gtx to pull it out.

Once on the trailler, emptied it out, and started with no problems.

so my questions are:
    -why didnt the DESS key shut it off directly when i fell? (even if it does almost instantly on land)
    -why did it almost sink(followed the instructions on how to flip it over
    -why has it not started?( no water in engine, checked.)
    -any ideas how to get the water out to avoid this kind of situations?
    -also noticed that theres 2 little pumps, but they work only when the turbine works (from suction, just a pair of one way valves)

good thing i wasnt far away!
    thanks in advance,
    -shui

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    at idle your foot wells are going to get water in them...its a ski, thats the way it is. nothing wrong with it. older skis and smaller craft are tipsy at idle if your not accustomed to balancing them. the dess key will only kill the engine once the line has been pulled not when you come off the ski seat. if your ski filled with water that quickly im wondering if you are missing the baffle that goes under the seat in the rear. where the vents are on the sides air flows through them, through the seat and to the baffle so when you flip it over it does not instantly fill with water. its a tube piece of plastic that raches almost to the driveshaft. im assuming that it didnt start because you were injesting water. a little water goes a long way. to avoid it see if you are missing that baffle and invest in a bilge pump. I got a 500GPM Rule brand bilge pump. put it on a switch under the handlebars. also for the stock bilge look in the back of the pump where those two lines that you see go to. there should be two little tubes sticking into the pump area. if you are missing one it will work in reverse and sink your ski quicly

+1
    The tubes are there, checked this weekend, and whn i fell the DESS key, got pulled off (short rope on it( about 30cm and 40 when extended) so when i fell, the ski was atleast 3 meters away from me, and the key was floating in water near me, and it ran for 30 seconds (like i mentioned)
    The moment i flipped it over, i opened the engine compartment and it was about 1/3 way full, there wasnt any water as the engine started, but shut off quickly ( maybe water got in fuel?)

It still doesnt explain why it started on land... Everything is in place but the ski kept sinking ( i was trying to get on and balance it..

And i have a bilge pump that i installed this past weekend used to use it on my small zodiac, im not sure how many gpms it does but i renember paying 60-70 dollars for it.

And can you show a picture of the "baffle" i couldnt understand if it was a tube or something on the seat..

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the help...

+1
    This thing....are you missing this tube that extends from the seat to the bottom of the hull?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1971.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	242082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1972.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	242081  

+1
    Ahhhh yep, do not have that, where to buy, and what exacty does it do... I think a second battery and a big bilge pump would be a better choice? Or should i consider scrapping the seadoo alltoghter?(use it for parts, everything runs great xcpt for fuel guage)

+1
    what this does is, in the event of a roll over, it keeps your ski a float while you swim back to the ski to flip it over. as you may notice the side vents on your ski. there are air ways that go through the bottom of the seat to that hole in the middle of the back seat then to this tube. this is your fresh air supply for the motor. this tube acts as a snorkel so when your ski flips over the bottom is now the top and the opening is above the water line.

IF the rear of your ski is the same as mine I have an extra one. I will check part numbers for you and let you know if the one i have will work

update...I think that it will work but you may have to buy the piece that clips into the hull. the part numbers are different but try it and see if it fits. if not the top plate is $22 USD

Thread Information