Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

New R&D Superclutch! Will it solve the prob?

Seems to be some discussion regarding the new SC clutch that R&D is coming out with so I thought I'd be the cheerleader to start a new thread so others maybe stop getting hijacked.

I'm excited about this new product because I feel like if the clutch problem can be solved I would be more comfortable going to more boost.

Can be viewed at: http://rd-performance.com/newProducts/yamaha/sho.asp

Oh, and this thread has nothing to do with Flashies or Motecs.

+1
    I don't know anything about it what's the story

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

+1
    Copied and pasted directly from the above link just for you Doug ():
    The R&D Superclutch elevates all clutch performance aspects to a higher level. The Superclutch is a supplemental clutch system that is designed “specifically” for the Yamaha to be used along with the OEM Sprag drive system. The R&D clutch design utilizes an “Oil-Loaded” Friction Disc design which will dampen constantly changing rotational mass energies, and aggressive moment of inertia shock loads that have proven to over stress the OEM Sprag clutch drive and cause failures.
    The new R&D Superclutch and shaft system is CNC machined from premium billet steel alloy, heat treated, and precision ground between centers to strict aircraft tolerances. This R&D system features a unique one-piece billet shaft design that utilizes a proven high pressure, through-shaft oiling technique to lubricate the billet drive gear bearing, clutch system friction discs, and the “all important” additional rear third bearing. The Superclutch shaft features (an R&D standard) oversized threads and a flanged nut proven in design to not fatigue or break under extreme conditions and allows charger impellor torque specs to be increased safely.
    The R&D Superclutch drive gear is machined from billet steel alloy, heat treated for proper hardness, and the tooth profile is precision CNC ground to OEM Yamaha specifications. The clutch surfaces of the R&D gear features special “oil-holding” wiper slots that provide improved oiling to increase lubrication to the clutch discs.
    The R&D clutch discs are precision machined, heat treated, and ground to exact tolerance utilizing only the finest materials tested and proven to be the best in these type systems.
    The R&D third bearing support design is integrated into a new back housing cover machined from billet aluminum with a creative precision alignment flange to insure 100% trueness and support to the third bearing. The third bearing assembly adds a tremendous amount of shaft support which will keep the shaft in line and free from the stresses of “gear climb”. The third bearing assembly will also relieve stresses on the chargers main thrust system.
    For Periodic clutch maintenance and adjustments, R&D has made it easy. The clutch slip can be adjusted easily, and clutch discs inspected and or changed out without removing the shaft from the supercharger with the special tool kit provided with each system.
    Minor machine work is required to the rear of the supercharger housing in order to achieve proper drive gear alignment (mating to the jack gear) and to true up the back cast surface so the third bearing housing cover mounts precision and true to the shaft centerline position. Machining is available from R&D (2-3 day turnaround time), or your local machine shop can follow the kit supplied blue print.
    Technology and performance make the Superclutch the finest and most effective clutch system available. Order yours today, and Crank up the Boost!
    So Jerry--Any word on when these might be shipping?

+1
    I'm not been negative, but it looks the same as the Et product that Et stopped making.

Good luck to them.

+1
    My rotax setup works great and the rd looks like a further evolition of the rotax. RD kit looks like a great option for the SC guys running more than stock boost

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dhoad; 06-10-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling

+1
    When the new R&D super clutch shaft with slip washers is used this new shaft/slip clutch shoud lessen the gear teeth inpact that has been causing the 2011 sprag clutch to shear its teeth off. R&D super clutch and 2011 sprag assembly should be the cure!!!!!!!! Tommy Jordan

+1
    Imo
    no it looks simlar to a rotax and et set up and they aint bullit proof but they do help the only way to cure it is to get rid of the clutch

+1
    It's about time!!! Good for them!!! Fack Yamaha for not steping up to it and fix their fackup, Julio...

I heard they hope to release it at the end of the month, but testing is still on the go. Hopefully they dont rush it, sounds like it has potential. The extra machining is a bit of a downfall however the end result is awesome.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SQURTN View Post
    Imo
    no it looks simlar to a rotax and et set up and they aint bullit proof but they do help the only way to cure it is to get rid of the clutch
    You are correct it it based on the rotax design but R&D has taken the rotax design and improved the workman ship and the quality of materials used. With a better shaft/bearings/ gear teeth fitment/ slip washers / better oiling and rear support bearing. R&D has taken this design to the next level in making it even better. Although it's not cheep at least we now have a quality solution for the sprag clutch failers. Tommy Jordan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information