Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy SL1050 Not turning over anymore

Ok here is my story. Purchased my 97 SL1050 last year and finally took it out for first time last week after putting in a new battery. Bilge pump did not work and ski took on a bit of water. Pulled fuse box apart and noticed that the fuse panel was completely corroded and both fuses popped. Ordered a new fuse block and fixed all corroded connections. Left the fuse box open, filled hull with some water and started the ski up. Ski ran great and the bilge pump fired right up! At this point I was happy and ready to get riding this weekend. Closed up the fuse box, sealed up with some silicone sealant to make sure no water gets in. Go to start it one more time and all I hear is the starter solenoid clicking, but starter is not turning over. Figured maybe a wire shorted or popped off. Opened fuse box back up and checked all connections. Tried to start again with fuse panel open, solenoid just clicks away. Any ideas at this point? Thats the first time I had an issue with the starter turning over. Last problem Im having which is not so major, but my speedometer does not function and I noticed the hose broke off of the sending unit. How do I remove the sending unit for the speedometer? Thank You! Sorry for such a long post being a newbie

The solenoid tick is almost always the battery. Try hitting it with a jumper box or charging it again, just because its new dosnt mean its fully charged, especially if you had been messing with the pannel and repeatidly starting/stopping it. As far as the gauge, its fixable, but they dont work for long and adventualy you get sick of trying to fix it and just give up as the senders all stop working.

I took the battery out right after and tossed it on the charger and it was showing 90% charged, but maybe your right and it wasn't enough. It just seemed ironic that as soon as I shut the fuse box it wouldn't start. Ill let the battery fully charge and try again. Is there anything else I should do to the ski while the box is open? I don't think its ever been touched other than replacing fuses. Thanks again!

Try jumping the solenoid with a wrench or screwdriver across the two terminals...just to rule out that the starter isn't seized.

+1
    The speedo sender is called a "pitot" ,it has a plastic nut-under the drive shaft-main body is under the hull,if the hose is off-it will fill with water.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sometimes the solenoid can go bad.

Jump the two heavy studs with a metal tool. Don't touch the tool to anything else.

If the engine cranks, then the solenoid is bad.

Ok well after charging the battery to 100%, the ski turned over and started no problem. I took the ski out for its second run where it wasnt sinking and it ran great....... or so I thought. Made it about 5 miles from shore and dead smack in the middle of the bay, it shut down and smoke emerged from the hull. Frustration level was building. I noticed the the small black ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the top of the fuse box was lit like a fuse! At that point I gave up and got towed back to shore. Too dark to pull it apart at this point. Am I the only one having these issues? Any ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STWater View Post
    ... dead smack in the middle of the bay, it shut down and smoke emerged from the hull. Frustration level was building. I noticed the the small black ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the top of the fuse box was lit like a fuse!

At that point I gave up and got towed back to shore. Too dark to pull it apart at this point...
    Did the electrical box shell contact the battery posts?

Thin black to the battery - does this engine have the ignition update kit, or the original ignition system?

Remove and clean/check both ends of the heavy black battery cable. Make very sure the engine connection is clean and tight, with clean bolt threads and clean metal on the engine surface.

Yes it is the thin black that goes to battery which I'm assuming grounded out to the starter solenoid inside the fuse box which I'm scared to look in now. All lugs on the cables are new due to old the old parts being corroded. I don't believe the ignition was previously updated. I think the last numbers are 153 or 053.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... Remove and clean/check both ends of the heavy black battery cable. Make very sure the engine connection is clean and tight, with clean bolt threads and clean metal on the engine surface.
    Do this, and open up the electrical box for a look-see.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information