Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Thumbs up FYI: ECU compatibility.

I finally took my original FZS ECU and slapped it on my VXR to see what would happened and I was able to confirm my predictions, it started right up and ran VERY smooth.

So here is the deal the VXR ECU has much more aggressive timing 25 degrees VS the 20 degrees on the FZS and also the rev limiter is set at 8K rpm on the VXR VS 7,700 on the FZS and it doesn't have boost limiter so it will make for a perfect candidate to be used on the FZS with a high boost wheel at 8k RPMS. The only down side is the tach doesn't work but most guys should and are running a digital tach.

Just a little something to play around with if someone finds themselves with a little extra time, Julio...

Interesting. I wonder what the AFR through the RPM range will be particularly in boost.

+1
    I do not think this is a good idea. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I do not think this is a good idea. Just my opinion though.
    Based on what ?

Im not arguing and saying it is a good idea but a statment like that is always better being backed up with some factual information. Julio has stated actual numbers, difference in timing , rev limiter etc

Interesting

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I think Shobiz touched on it. The fuel mapping on a boosted motor should be very different than a N/A motor. It may run smooth at idle or with a quick blip, but I would be VERY concerned about the AFRs being way off under boost conditions. In theory, I believe you would be running very lean at higher RPMs.

+1
    My thoughts would also be that I would not recommend doing this. On boosted engines, the Map Sensor will help aid in adding fuel, and may also adjust timing, based on boost pressure. On normally aspirated engines, the Map Sensor is not used like that. If anything they might use a Map Sensor to get the "barometric" pressure.

My question for you is it really worth the risk of damaging your motor?

to much timing could kill it for sure, well not sure on a jet ski, but on my turbo drag car timing is everything

+1
    It's not just the fuel, timing, and rev limit differences between a boosted and NA motor. How about all your safety nets like intake air temperature compensations, voltage compensations, map sensor calibration? You don't think those would be completely different on an NA vs. a boosted motor? There is so much shit inside the programming of these ECUs it's unreal. It's way more then just a fuel and timing curve. The ECU is designed to run the engine as optimally and safely as possible. By throwing in an ECU from a completely different setup (an NA one at that...) you are literally throwing out all your safety nets because now they will all be skewed or possibly even non-existent.

Basically if you don't know why this is a bad idea, you should ABSOLUTLY NOT try it. You will blow up or damage your engine.

Again... just my opinion...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    It's not just the fuel, timing, and rev limit differences between a boosted and NA motor. How about all your safety nets like intake air temperature compensations, voltage compensations, map sensor calibration? You don't think those would be completely different on an NA vs. a boosted motor? There is so much shit inside the programming of these ECUs it's unreal. It's way more then just a fuel and timing curve. The ECU is designed to run the engine as optimally and safely as possible. By throwing in an ECU from a completely different setup (an NA one at that...) you are literally throwing out all your safety nets because now they will all be skewed or possibly even non-existent.

Basically if you don't know why this is a bad idea, you should ABSOLUTLY NOT try it. You will blow up or damage your engine.

Again... just my opinion...
    +1 I also concur on this for what its worth....but its interesting. With a re-flash ?? might work if you cant find fzr/s box.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information