+1

Scuff mark On Cylinder what to do

I have a Gp1200R I'm about to put in new piston but there are light scuff mark on the bottom below the port, I think it had a light seisure. but from the port up it ok, What should I do? Do I need new cylinder? Do I need to hone the scuff mark off?

+1
    definately need to hone the cylinder. depending on how deep the scuffing is it might be ok. even if there are no scuffs its a good idea to hone when putting in new rings, a nice cross hatch it helps them seat properly.

+1
    The scuff isnt that bad, I ran my fingure nail across it and didnt catch it, So I thought it might be ok, where the scuff is the ring doesnt touch it, it below the ring, What should I use to hone it ? I was looking at the Cylinder Flex hone, Is this what I should be useing? Would I help remove the scuff mark ?

+1
    Do some research on nicasil coated cylinders (like yours) and Muratic acid. This may solve your problem.

Do you still have cross hatching? It is also a good idea on reading up on the special hones used on nicasil cylinders.

+1
    I have been reading up on the nicasil coating, and I took it to a friend who work in Yamaha dealer to have him inspect it and he told me it not useable, he doesnt recommmend useing it and now I have to look for new cylinder. He did say that I had a mild sezisure. So there goes my bank account again... But thank for the reply guys...

+1
    Hold on Tiger. Let's see some pictures. That does not sound right at all.

+1
    I dont know how to add picture on here, But I was talking to WFO, he have some fresh cylinder, I will be sending it to him for core....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed796 View Post
    I dont know how to add picture on here, But I was talking to WFO, he have some fresh cylinder, I will be sending it to him for core....
    Click on reply then go advanced scoll down and click on add attachments then a window will open to search your pictures or computer files select your pics and submit them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed796 View Post
    .......... and I took it to a friend who work in Yamaha dealer to have him inspect it and he told me it not useable, ......... He did say that I had a mild seizure...........
    This is the thing about Nicasil. It is super tough so that it can withstand mild seizures. It is one of the very reasons for its use (another being that it is super slick). Many times, the scuffing is actually aluminum that has come off the piston and stuck to the cylinder during a mild seizure. Muratic acid can take the aluminum off, and your cylinder becomes reuseable.

Now if the cylinder is gouged out, then it needs to be replaced or renicasiled.

+1
    Muratic acid never thought about that, Well since I'm rebuliding the whole motor, I figure i'll start out fresh, My new cylinder is on it way. next time I'll use the Muratic acid if the cylinder doesnt seem too bad. But thank Salty... Thank L Carlson for the picture instruction. I'll keep that in mine too....

Thread Information