Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Starting issue while in the water...

So... I posted a while back that my 2002 GTX 155, (the NA motor) starts fine on the trailer but when in the water it sometimes will not start, it turns over fine, but will not fire. People said to try plugs and I did, while it ran better then since i bought it last summer, it didn't fix the issue.

I should add... once you take off it runs beautifully.

I have began to notice a correlation between the longer the ski sits in the water at a dock, the longer you have to crank it to fire. IDK if its related, but it seems to idle rough in the water as well (around 1800), soon as you up the RPMs to about 2100 its completely smooth.

Also I noticed that if you scoot around in reverse then shut it off, it takes a lot of cranking.

Could there be some sort of weird water box issue where it is having to expel water to start ??

Im out of thoughts... hopefully you all have some

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I have experienced a lack of responses in the past... I am assuming that it is due to a lack of experience or interest with non-supercharged skis. I know this is not one of the ever popular, SCed, screaming F1 bread machines.... but really they are all the same. So any similar experiences would be appreciated.

Thanx

+1
    I would start with the battery, how old is it? Try a buddies before spending dollars and time on other things. Try lifting the pump out of the water if it starts you will know it is a load on the stater circuit problem.

In water starting

Quote Originally Posted by Davis151 View Post
    So... I posted a while back that my 2002 GTX 155, (the NA motor) starts fine on the trailer but when in the water it sometimes will not start, it turns over fine, but will not fire. People said to try plugs and I did, while it ran better then since i bought it last summer, it didn't fix the issue.

I should add... once you take off it runs beautifully.

I have began to notice a correlation between the longer the ski sits in the water at a dock, the longer you have to crank it to fire. IDK if its related, but it seems to idle rough in the water as well (around 1800), soon as you up the RPMs to about 2100 its completely smooth.

Also I noticed that if you scoot around in reverse then shut it off, it takes a lot of cranking.

Could there be some sort of weird water box issue where it is having to expel water to start ??

Im out of thoughts... hopefully you all have some
    It sounds like a voltage issue. When you're in the water the starter works harder as it has resistance on the impeller compared to out of water. I'm thinking it's a starter issue, where the starter is "dragging" using more power than normal. This could be a connection, or a bad starter. This would draw voltage from the coil(s) and reduce spark. Also as sitting longer, your batter will lose a little amperage - this is normal even with a new battery - making it start harder than "normal". As the starter "warms up" it will use a little less voltage - allowing more spark to the plugs. This explains why it starts well after running for a while. Water in the exhaust will ad a small amount of resistance, but it's probably not the issue. Running rough after starting would explain a low battery, and higher rpm's would give you more re-charge voltage. Bottom line, it's probably not the battery, most likely the starter, and /or electrical connections. 1) recheck -loosten, clean & tighten all your high amperage connections - including grounds and bolts attaching starter to engine. 2) Check your voltage draw / starter ohms as you are cranking - I don't know what specs call for, but you probably can find out here in the forums 3) if you have tried everything else, then replace your starter.

+1
    When it's in the water is it cranking much slower than when you crank/start it on the trailer?

Kosh - the battery is new and it does fire when its out of the water.

Mainepilot - thank you for all the info... I will look into the things you stated. I was thinking that it may be a starter as well it was just the issue of an immediate restart that would normally fire, does not fire if I was using reverse that got me thinking of water ingestion.

Outboard john - i will try to pay more attention next time, but it is hard to tell as it nearly fires immediately when out of the water.

I should add... the ski idles rough in the water all the time, not just after starting. Although this is my first ski so it could be normal... all I know is that in water it surges and makes a rough sound, almost like a 2 stroke, at 1800 RPMs and it does jump RPMs slightly back and forth... if you raise it to 2100 - 2200, it runs perfectly smooth and becomes quiet. Is this normal or potentially part of the issue ??

That sounsds like backlash of the impeller. Mine makes alot of noise at idle and if you raise it just a bit it goes away

Just a thought but does slightly depressing the throttle while cranking make it crank easier in the water?

You said its rough idle around 1800 rpm? Did you check the pump for a rock or other debris?
    My cousin's rxp had a rock wedged in the impeller next to the wear ring and it idled rough around 1800.

Every combustion engine requires three things to operate.
    Spark, Air/Fuel mixture, and compression.

If you checked and its not the starter, you should pull the spark plugs and read them.
    If the plugs look fine then check your fuel pressure.
    Finally check the compression by doing a compression test.
    If you find you are getting low compression during a cold start then your piston rings are worn.
    When the engine is warm the pistons, rings, and valves will expand from the heat which would explain why it starts fine when its warm.

I would like to point out that in an electrical circuit resistance increases as heat increases. If the starter was going bad it should give you problems starting with the engine warm. Warm starter circuit would pull more cranking amps. New batteries can give you problems as well so have it tested. I bought a brand new optima battery(around $200 i think) from autozone one day and it was bad brand new off the shelf. So don't rule that out. Corrosion on terminals would be another cause. If it pull so much current that it cuts the whole power off then its the battery or corrosion on a terminal.

You can also check that the valves are seating correctly if you are familiar with a leakdown test. You can set the valves on compression, intake, and exhaust stroke. And listen for air flow where it is supposed to be. For example, piston one is on the exhaust stroke. When compressed air is sent in through the sparkplug hole, air should be heard exiting through the exhaust, not the intake or crankcase.

Race24x -
    Hard to describe a sound through text, but what is this backlash you are speaking of caused by ??

Nguyen -
    No, I tried various throttle positions and none of them make a difference while cranking.

I did check the pump, and its completely clear.

I have read the plugs, all of which read very well... It currently has its 3rd set of plugs on all of which the problem was the same.

I have tested the battery and it is good.

I will try and have a friend look into the valves, as well as a leak down, and compression test... I lack the tools to do so.

I know what you are saying is right about heat and circuit resistance.... the thing is the heat of the circuit doesn't seem to have a correlation.

As I said before its seems like the longer it sits in the water.... the harder it is to get it to crank. Somebody earlier wrote that the battery voltage will slowly decrease as it sits, but a new battery should not dip down enough in a matter of hours to make a difference like it is. Also this still doesn't explain that running in reverse before I shut it down will immediately make a re-fire hard (as though it had been sitting in the water for an hour or more). This contributing factor has really made me think about some sort of water ingestion issue in the muffler and/or water box. Is this even possible ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information