Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How many hours can I expect from a well maintained engine?

I'm in the market for a 3 seater and like the performance of the Sea Doo skis. I'm not looking to break the bank but have cash and am ready to but. Obviously low hours would be ideal but what about a ski with 120 or more hours? Should I stay away from these skis?

Thanks in advance.

+1
    100 hrs in my opinion is just broken in. Maintenance is the key... Well preventative maintenance... Biggest issues are going to be the SC's and the washers. Most of the skis from ordinary people do not have these rebuilt as most dealers do not service the SC's. Anything with the OEM pre-2008 ceramic washers on the SC, is a ticking time bomb... That would be the first thing I would do. Also, get a compression test done. Check the pump out. Check the oil and see if it looks like oil or brownish whitish goldish soup. My ski turned 183 today. Still going strong from day one. Also, stay away from pre-06. As the earlier valves are prone to dropping and causing a great deal of damage. High hours aren't a bad thing. Just know what to look for.

The ski I just bought was an 04 with 163 hours with the OEM charger on it. Luckily back in 07, the dealer replaced the valves at no charge as a part of the warranty. The only bad thing was that the OEM charger had not been rebuilt, and the ceramics were still installed. Guess I got lucky..... I had no time on the 04. I actually pulled the SC out at the sellers house and inspected it with him and his wife standing there. They were shocked. I saw what I saw and paid the man. The SC went directly in a box and had a vacation at Jerry's for a day or so. Piece of mind is everything with these water crafts.....

Thanks. The newer ones, 08+, sure are nice but I'm thinking somewhere around $5000 is my budget. I've searched around and even would consider an Ultra 250x or 260x if the price was right. I do know $5000 is not getting me an 07+ FXHO. I like the performance of the Sea Doo and the HP ratings.

+1
    You can get a nice 06 RXP for that price. You just have to look. The GTX is a nice boat and is a 3 seater. Great performance. The next step up is an RXT. They, like the RXP's are pricey.... The GTX is a great family ski and a great 3 seater. The other option is the GTI. I would stay away from the KAWI's. Not easy to work on. Log's are log's are log's. Gonna have to get it towed sooner or later.

So far it seem that the low hours ones are priced high (to me) but there does not seem to be much of a difference in price for the ones with over 100+ hours. I would expect there to be a significant difference between the two. There are also a lot of RTX skis for sale. I'm not sure if they are selling quickly and if they are the prices are what the market will pay. These skis that are sitting for 6 weeks or more are obviously priced too high. Surprises me how with $5000 cash in hand I can't pick up a pristine ski. Job market sucks, market is down ,etc.,...maybe I'm being unrealistic with my $5000.

+1
    I just traded in an 07 RXT with 81 hours, dealer gave $6600, and listed it for $7500.
    Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by gbest View Post
    I just traded in an 07 RXT with 81 hours, dealer gave $6600, and listed it for $7500.
    Just FYI.
    That's good info, thanks.

Missed an 06 with 100ish hours with trailer for $4750. Now kind of debating about an 06, light mods, 120 hours but asking $6000.

+1
    Not to hi-jack the tread but can any one answer the title question? Im wondering how long would a 4tec last ( in hours) ive never seen a ski past the 300 mark.. ( maybe older ones but i mean 4-tecs).
    Thanks in advance

The highest I have seen advertised is 200 on my craigslist search for an RXT ski. 200 hours on an 06 and the guy is still asking $7500!

I have 315 hours on my 06 RXP, until last week when I blew something in my 2Rude Charger (bearings, washers?).

first 35 hours stock, then stage one kit, at 100 hour mark learned of metal washers. Installed 2Rude Charger with Riva Metal washers. Rode it till 315, rebuilding it now, change the oil and keep riding! Original Coolant, and change oil/wear ring every 40ish hours. Also original battery to 311 hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information