Battery Charging

Hi guys im thinking of buying an optimate battery charger for my ski to keep the battery topped up over winter!
    I have a question, my ski is currently set to km/h on the digital dash and i dont want this to revert back to mph if the battery dies and i cant really pull the battery out of the ski to charge it otherwise i think this will revert the computer back to factory settings as well, so im wondering if it is possible to use one of these chargers to charge the ski once a month or so without taking the battery out, or if you have any tips for my problem?

ps i know the speedos on the skis are extremely inaccurate but its still good to have a rough indication of how fast your travelling!

Cheers

+1
    If you can find one in AUS.... Get a Deltra Battery Tender.... Leave it hooked to it all winter. It will cycle and maintain the battery. You will be good to go. That is the brand I have ALWAYS used on every battery I have bought. No thinking to it. Just hook it up and leave it be. Store the ski inside if you can....

Hi,

On my ski (05 RXP) I always remove the battery for the winter, but it never lost speed settings (we use km/h as well), I'm not sure for 06 and newer ski's do...

Cheers,
    Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by quickzx View Post
    Hi guys im thinking of buying an optimate battery charger for my ski to keep the battery topped up over winter!
    I have a question, my ski is currently set to km/h on the digital dash and i dont want this to revert back to mph if the battery dies and i cant really pull the battery out of the ski to charge it otherwise i think this will revert the computer back to factory settings as well, so im wondering if it is possible to use one of these chargers to charge the ski once a month or so without taking the battery out, or if you have any tips for my problem?

ps i know the speedos on the skis are extremely inaccurate but its still good to have a rough indication of how fast your travelling!

Cheers

+1
    I quite often hook my ctek charger while the battery is in the ski.

Once charged it will revert to maintenance charge mode

Just make sure you ventilate the place when it's charging.

+1
    I noticed it says do not boost battery while in ski on my 99 GSX ltd...so can I not charge without taking out of ski? Can u use a normal battery charger?

+1
    Boosting I would think means Don't jump it off...

I think the most off us leaves the battery in the ski while charging. When it's really empty you can take the caps off the battery... When it's in maintenance charging mode you leave them on. It's better not to use a normal car charger, because it will push to much amps, this will shorten the battery life. Buy a nice motor cycle charger witch has a maintenance mode, you can leave this on when you don't use the ski...

Thanks for the advice guys, i bought a battery fighter .75A float charger that slowly charges the battery then switches to maintenance mode when its fully charged!

Should i remove the water caps from the battery when charging it or just leave them on?

Cheers

Thread Information