97 GSI Not running good

After i pulled a boat back to the docks i turned the jet ski of and then turned it back on and it wouldnt start good. Then when i would go to ride it would take of slow then out of no where it pulls like crazy and once it hits 6000 rpms it drops to 3000 and acts like a rev limiter and then starts pulling again? When you rev it outside the water it sputters and revs up but doesn't sound that good. Someone help have no clue what it could be.Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    clean the carbs and fuel selector....read the DIY thread in the 2 stroke performance section

how do you remove the fuel selector to clean it?

+1
    there is a little plug that hides a small screw in the middle of the knob. remove that then grab a pair of pliers to remove the knob(the tend to stick) then you will see a bigger plastic nut that holds the fuel selector valve with the plastic ring that has the fuel selection options on it. its a 32mm I think. remove that and it comes out the inside of the hull. once you get that out. you can remove the selector valve/knob out of the middle of the whole thing. its another little screw. pull that out and there is a little rubber o ring that needs replaced and give that whole housing a good cleaning.

make sure to replace the needle and seats and clean the fuel screens in the carbs too

do i need to remove the carbs to clean the filters inside them?

I changed all the fuel lines and cleaned the fuel selector and still ran like crap.When it was running didn't have power i unplugged one plug and didn't change anything , plugged it back in and gained power. Also the connector that goes from the stator has oil in it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by orest100 View Post
    do i need to remove the carbs to clean the filters inside them?
    yea, thats your whole problem

I changed all the fuel lines and cleaned the fuel selector and still ran like crap.When it was running didn't have power i unplugged one plug and didn't change anything , plugged it back in and gained power. Also the connector that goes from the stator has oil in it?
    unplugged what plug? the spark plug line? thats not going to solve anything. I dont think that you have your terminology correct here... what connector to the stator? Clean your fuel screens in the carbs and you will be fine

OK so i removed both carbs and cleaned them out as well as the 2 little filters inside. Now i need adjustments for the low and high screws? because i had unscrewed them to remove any debris that might have been in there. Thanks for the help new to the 2 strokes

+1
    OK so i removed both carbs and cleaned them out as well as the 2 little filters inside. Now i need adjustments for the low and high screws? because i had unscrewed them to remove any debris that might have been in there. Thanks for the help new to the 2 strokes
    There us a thread at the top of the two strike performance section called 2 stroke info. There you will find a page that has stock carb settings usually your highs are closed and lows are out a turn and a 1/4 but it depends on your motor and ski

Okey so i got the carbs tuned as best as i could and it ran around 5000 rpms on the trailer. Brought it down to the water and it wouldn't pass 3000 rpms and eventually just wouldn't start anymore.Also i noticed the engine was hot, wasn't hot to the point were you couldn't touch it but stung a little.And a little more info when i did a compression test earlier it was around 120 in both cylinders?

Thread Information