fuel selector switch?

I have been trying to eliminate all possibilities before I have the carbs rebuilt...ski is an 01 gp1200..sometimes it does 40 mph, sometimes it does 60...since its intermittant, I was hoping it was a bad wire or coil since it seems like sometims its running on two cylinders, sometimes 3. always starts right up and sounds good!?!? anyway, while trying to switch fuel pickups, I broke something or just loosened the nut that hold the swith tight to the hull and locks it in place...well I CANNOT get the little stainless screw out! any ideas? before I drill it out, any of you that bypass this valve have one to sell? could this switch alone cause gas issues? whenever I unscrew the gas cap, I never seem to have any pressure build up, is that bad? sorry for all the questions, still lots to learn!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    I have been trying to eliminate all possibilities before I have the carbs rebuilt...

......could this switch alone cause gas issues?

whenever I unscrew the gas cap, I never seem to have any pressure build up, is that bad?

If you want to eliminate the switch as being a part of the problem, then just bypass it. Disconnect your fuel line between the fuel filter and the fuel selection switch, and disconnect the fuel line where it connects to the carburetors. Run a line directly from the fuel filter to the carburetors.

There have been some people who believe that the switch itself is a restriction in the line and has caused problems. For this reason, some have bypassed the switch (as I described) and have actually rerouted the reserve line to the carbs so that there are two lines feeding the carburetors instead of one.

As far as the pressure on your gas tank.... I believe that it is important because it helps in fuel delivery to the carbs so that the fuel pumps in the carbs. can do their jobs. The pumps are designed to pump through the carbs, not to suck from the tank. If the pressure in the tank gets to high, then there is a relief valve to help depressure and maintain a certain positive pressure on the tank. If the tank is not holding pressure, a likely spot where it leaks is at the black rubber seal on top of the tank that houses the gas gauge. The way I tested mine was to spray windex on the seal, remove the gas cap, and put an air hose in the tank and pressured it up a couple-three pounds. Mine leaked, and so the windex bubbled.

Salty, thanks much for taking time for that reply!...you put the compressed air in the gas cap? how did you seal?...when I changed the gas filter, once I turned the engine over, it filled up pretty quick, is this a good enough sign all is well? I was thinking of just putting a "Y" between the 2 pickups and the gas filters, this should be fine, no? and installing clunkers
    ps- I removed the flapper and screen(or it wasn't there, not sure if I knocked it off when taking out tube) and switched from reserve to gas on selector..I need pliers to do this, thats why I'd like to change switch...anyway, for several minutes it ran great, unfortunately it was to rough out and blowing like a mofo so couldn't get conclusive results, will update when I do...thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    and switched from reserve to gas on selector..I need pliers to do this, thats why I'd like to change switch...
    Mine was the same way... Why do they get so hard to turn? My old 94 VXR's switch turns as smooth as butter to this day!

I just finished rebuilding and reinstalling my carbs on my '01 GPR with 300+ hours. As part of the rebuild I disassembled and cleaned my fuel selector switch. It was also getting hard to turn. Its very simple to do. Just remove the switch from ski, unscrew the small phillips head screw and remove the internals. Be careful, there is a small spring in there. I used some carb cleaner and a gun cleaning wire brush to get all of the gunk out. Works just like new now.

Thread Information