GP1300r won't idle warm, wetting plugs

My 2003 GP1300r with freshly rebuilt engine wont idle once its warm. It will stall and not restart until the plugs dry. When it is cold you can start it and it will idle, shut it right off and pull a plug and it will be dry. Once it gets warm it will start idling rough and will stall, won't restart, pull the plugs and they are wet. If I start it right up and start moving, keeping it above idle I can go out and it will run great as long as I stay on the gas, will go 73 through the rough water and all. As soon as I let go back to idle it will die and I'm stuck sitting there for 10 or 15 minutes til the plugs dry enough for it to restart. It also smokes a lot more than it should, like it is really rich. The efi settings below are the ones that were suggest in the sticky thread so I wouldn't think they could be that far off. Really getting frustrated...Please help!

Premix 40:1

Standard NGK-11 plugs that I have changed a few different times while fighting this.

EFI Controller settings are 5/6/1/7

Stock Milled Head along with all the riva stage II mods below
    RIVA Girdled Head Hardware Kit
    RIVA GP1300R Power Filter Flame Arrestor

RIVA Pro-Series E.F.I. Control Unit
    RIVA GP1300R Cat Removal D-plate
    RIVA / Boyesen Reed Stuffer Kit (66V/60T)
    RIVA GPR Free Flow Exhaust Kit
    RIVA GP1200R/1300R Top-Loader Intake Grate
    RIVA GPR Pump Seal Kit
    RIVA / Solas Concord Set-Back Impeller
    GPR Pump Exit Nozzle (87mm)
    RIVA GPR Performance Ride Plate

RIVA GPR Performance Trim Tabs
    RIVA GPR Pro-Series Adjustable Sponsons

+1
    I doesnt seem like people on here are not to advanced enough to answer question all you get is "What is your compression " good luck ,i have been posting things on here and get know response

whats wrong with dialing back the idle some, that is make it leaner ? does not sound like ignition

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    I doesnt seem like people on here are not to advanced enough to answer question all you get is "What is your compression " good luck ,i have been posting things on here and get know response

ummmmm, ok, good luck with that!

True, some people here couldn`t make a cheese sandwhich if I spotted them the cheese and the bread...but that`s besides the point...

Quote Originally Posted by strokersquid View Post
    whats wrong with dialing back the idle some, that is make it leaner ? does not sound like ignition
    The controller ONLY adds fuel, does not make it any leaner.

to the OP. This scenario is tough to diagnose over the net, But I will ask, was the engine pressure tested? could there be a leak around the gaskets/reed/stuffers?

are the lights on the controller functioning properly? Was the idle adjustment screw tampered with? is the throttle cable adjusted correctly? You could try unplugging the controller, reconnect the OEM harness and run on the trailer on the hose and do your test. note results.

what is your compression> good luck<<< Only kidding...lol...

The plugs will always be wet when the ski is idling and you pull a plug, It is pig rich from the factory plus the fact that you are premixing is heavier than using the oil injection at idle... etc etc etc...
    you have to check everything, can not diagnose from my chair. Could be fuel pressure issue who knows, could be a leaking gasket which causes excessive idling but hey ya never know... now>>> good luck and hope you isolate and find your problem...

@ Creative> yes, there aren`t to many here to respond anymore, why you ask, bc there is a huge forum with a lot of info here and on the net to answer almost any question, people want things handed to them... read read read...
    and yes, most of us have stopped with the mundane repetitive crap... we can try, we can post, but we can`t teach mechaincal skills from an internet forum...

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    @ Creative> yes, there aren`t to many here to respond anymore, why you ask, bc there is a huge forum with a lot of info here and on the net to answer almost any question, people want things handed to them... read read read...
    and yes, most of us have stopped with the mundane repetitive crap... we can try, we can post, but we can`t teach mechaincal skills from an internet forum...
    Can I get an AAAAAAMEN

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    ........ most of us have stopped with the mundane repetitive crap... we can try, we can post, but we can`t teach mechaincal skills from an internet forum...
    Dude, you are rough!

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Dude, you are rough!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Dude, you are rough!
    Rough? Maybe a little. But most of all he is spot on correct. Way too often we see newbies asking the same basic questions without doing a single bit of research. we've even seen attitudes like this forum owes them something. A lot of members have lost interest in responding to the same old questions week after week. So if a newbie asks one of these repeated questions, there is a chance it will go unanswered.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Rough? Maybe a little. But most of all he is spot on correct.
    +1, Pale Rider is always helping people!
    Creative, listen up; when I checked your profile it says, "Creative has not made any friends yet."
    Get your friend list started and take my advice; get PR on there first! When you have problems you can always PM these people and in my experience they will help you or they will find someone who can. Heck, I had to PM Jerry more than once over the years but he always helped me!

Thread Information