unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar

pump bearing seals

Rebuilding the pump, everything is just about ready to go on the ski. The freeze method in the FAQ worked like a champ!
    One question about the bearing seals, you know the ones on the impeller side. Which way do they face? And which one goes in first?
    The service manual makes it look like the more open side faces the impeller, and appears to have the fatter of the two closest to the impeller.

One of the more knowledgeable guys on another forum, mentioned that the more open side faces away from the impeller, which to me does make sense, but since the service manual looks opposite, I wanted to make sure.

+1
    I just rebuilt mine and put the fatter one closest to the impeller just as the orginals seals were installed, the service manual is not very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan FZR View Post
    I just rebuilt mine and put the fatter one closest to the impeller just as the orginals seals were installed, the service manual is not very clear.
    Which is how?

+1
    There are 2 oil seals in the pump that sit under a thick washer held in place by the impeller. The "fatter" seal is closest to the washer as it consists of an extra "LIP" to seal against this same washer. The "Thinner" seal is installled first into the pump housing, then the "Fatter" seal then the washer then the impeller.

The Open faces of the seal face the impeller.

Kinda hard to describe without pictures. The service manual shows a cross section of the seals installed, but the diagram looks different to the actual seals.

My pump was full of water and the bearing were rusted to hell, i found some mositure in the grease a few months ago and changed the O-ring on the cone but the oil seals were the problem.

Hope this make sense!

unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan FZR View Post
    There are 2 oil seals in the pump that sit under a thick washer held in place by the impeller. The "fatter" seal is closest to the washer as it consists of an extra "LIP" to seal against this same washer. The "Thinner" seal is installled first into the pump housing, then the "Fatter" seal then the washer then the impeller.

The Open faces of the seal face the impeller.

Kinda hard to describe without pictures. The service manual shows a cross section of the seals installed, but the diagram looks different to the actual seals.

My pump was full of water and the bearing were rusted to hell, i found some mositure in the grease a few months ago and changed the O-ring on the cone but the oil seals were the problem.

Hope this make sense!
    yes that does make sense, and also how I am reading the service manual

Thanks!

Thread Information