Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why No Alcohol?

Why No Alcohol?

Just wondering why none of you guys have converted your rxps and ts to alcohol yet... Simple conversion for 4 stroke engines with lotsa benefits.. No detonation, unlimited boost, actually cools intake charge, all it should take is a bigger fuel pump and injectors and the ecm to fine tune... 20-25 percent hp increase waiting on somebody here....
    I am partaking in the challenge of a gp1300 2 stroke alcohol injected engine which is unchartered territory as far as i can tell so far..

+1
    I`d say mainly because if ya can`t fill up at the pump,,it ain`t worth owning. Thats why I only tune for 93 octane with race motors in cars. Convenience is out the window.

another reason i belive is that most of our aftermarket parts come from the race scene & i belive they have to run a "pump" fuel

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    hoss you cant get 104? its 5min from me

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Something else nobody is mentioning is the consumption...You'd go nowhere on a tank of alky...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superduty View Post
    hoss you cant get 104? its 5min from me
    I can get VP deliverred. Prob is that VP goes bad if sitting too long. VP also has alot of lead in it.

+1
    You burn approximately twice as much alcohol as gas, so as Chris said, your range on a jetski is cut in half. Alky evaporates so fast, it evaps the oil off the cylinder walls, so a 4 stroke needs to run top end lube added to the alky or you get premature cylinder/piston wear. Alky 'milks up' the oil and you need more frequent oil changes. You should purge with gas after every use so the carbs stay clean and so it starts easier next time. Fuel line needs more frequent replacing and carbs need more frequent rebuilding. Tuning is very different than gas and requires full access to all the tuning parameters. Availability of alky as others said ...

Using alcohol in a strip only drag car is one thing, but in a recreational vehicle that you travel with is a whole other situation. The power increase can be good, but like Hoss, I build all my toys to only run on commonly available pump gas premium. Way too many problems for most of us to even consider on a recreational jetski.

Check out this thread on alky conversions on the Riva forum. Does not cover jetskis tho, more aimed at atvs, but the principles are similar: http://rivaforums.com/eve/forums/a/t...4/m/5996038514

if ur going 2 race alcohol is the way 2 go mix a little nitro mathine with it and get it jetted right and u got cheep hp used it for years in other race applications but for runabout skis it a pain in the as 2 carry burns about twice the amount of fuel and it likes 2 absorb moisture the more moisture it takes on the less hp it produces and also u need 2 change oil more often like every 2-3 races more or less depending on the type of racing ur doing

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    I can get VP deliverred. Prob is that VP goes bad if sitting too long. VP also has alot of lead in it.
    yea i get it fron the airforce base or the local single engine airports- or when we go to the drag strip

+1
    Very good points. We used to run alcohol in our modded two stroke toys and we found that our paticular jetting was an all-around 2.6 times that of gasoline. It must be flushed after every use. It wreaks havoc on hoses, diaphrams and parts that aren't rated for it. It absorbs moisture like a mofo, that's the white, milky stuff that was brought up. Top it all off with not being able to get it at the pump and it doesn't seem real desireable.

Done right, it can make some power though!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information