Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

93 sl 750 newb question

ok here goes, i was just given a 93 sl750 polaris ski. sweet huh?? (maybe not so) the guy i got it from said it ran when he parked it......SEVEN YEARS AGO!!!! he said the only know problem it had was that it would start to fill with water when doing tricks and stuff but clear back out when going across the lake.. after reading on here for a couple of days im thinking thats normal right?? i mean with no electric bilge it would take on a bit till you went straight for a while right? anyway, i started by removing the gas tank and draining all the syrup that used to resemble gas. got it all cleaned out, put in two new pickup fuel lines and put about a half tank of fuel in it. ok i know its a pipe dream but i thought hey, why not, maybee some fresh fuel and clean plugs and who knows what could happen right??? wrong.... i hooked a charger to it and tried to crank it.....wump, wump....it cranked very slow at first then picked up a little. so i took the plugs out to see if it would crank a little faster and whoa nelly...... they were all gooey... i then proceeded to turn it over and found old faithfuls three younger cousins.. there she blows... from all three cylinders. this putrid gooey fluid, that seems to keep coming, time and time again as i crank. im starting to think i should just bite the bullet and pull the motor, rebuild, and start from new but if theres an easier solution im all ears peeps... ill sit and pine for a reply... lol

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Describe the goop coming out of the spark plug holes.

Is it oily but whitish gray/milky, or oily blackish stuff?

Milky gray means water and oil mixed together. Which probably means lots of rust down below in the crank case. This would be the common scenario, unfortunately.

If it was really well fogged with fogging oil seven years ago, you might just be seeing a lot of that oil coming back out.

BTW, never try to run one of these high powered 2-strokes unless you are sure the entire fuel system is up to spec. That means cleaning all three carbs, plus replacing that old fuel pump, and all the fuel lines, everywhere.

Running with partially clogged carbs or poor fuel delivery can greatly damage an engine in minutes, especially at full throttle.

Oh yes, you can find the entire Polaris 1992-1998 Service Manual here.

Do some searching on here regarding Fuji engine and crankshaft rebuilding, and ways to try to resuscitate an old engine.
    Last edited by K447; 06-14-2011 at 01:16 AM.

yea, i think i will begin a dis-assembly tomorrow. the goo is a milky green actually....nice huh. how does water get in there anyway. i know for a fact that this guy never fogged anything...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone53 View Post
    ...how does water get in there anyway?
    I know for a fact that this guy never fogged anything...
    Well, that is a good question.

There IS always water inside the stock exhaust pipes, as it is sprayed into the exhaust to keep the hoses cool. And the waterbox (muffler) holds quite a bit of water, unless you remember to burp it out after you get it on the trailer. Some of that water could work its way back into the engine.

My guess is that sometimes people have managed to invert or sink the ski (drain plug left out is a popular method), but don't want to admit it.

So they say it ran fine last time (right up until it sank ), yet when you look inside the engine (days, weeks or years later), there is LOTS of water

Another way of flooding the engine, that many people don't know, is when you get towed in after a problem, the exhaust water spray continues to pump water (from the forward motion of the PWC being towed) into the exhaust.

Since the engine is not running (which is why you are being towed), the exhaust fills with water, which then runs into the engine through the open exhaust ports.

Knowledgeable riders carry hose clamping pliers with them. If they need a tow, first they apply the clamp to the main water inlet hose inside the hull, THEN they start the tow. The clamp shuts off the water flow, and keeps the water from filling the exhaust.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    when parking a ski for a long time or winterizing a ski one of the steps is to pour 2 cycle oil down each cylinder. Look in the oil tank, is the oil he used green. Different manufactures use different color dyes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    when parking a ski for a long time or winterizing a ski one of the steps is to pour 2 cycle oil down each cylinder...
    Would that be in addition to using fogging oil spray, or instead of using fogging oil spray?

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Would that be in addition to using fogging oil spray, or instead of using fogging oil spray?
    in addition, I pour an ounce down each cylinder

ok, so when i start tearing this thing down to go through everything...what can i expect here??? and where is the best place to buy the parts?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Not to sure what you're "expecting" to happen. They're pretty simple to work on.

What parts are you looking for? Different parts are cheaper at different places. Also members here sell alot of good parts for cheap.

i was looking for some info on tricks of the trade that might help this go smoother. i was an automotive mechanic for mazda for 8 years and you tend to learn alot of ways on making things take half the time when youve been doing it a while.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information