+1

260X dropped 300rpms - why?

Ran my 260X last weekend and it ran 8,060rpms solid. Today under similar conditions it only ran 7,800rpms. That is a loss of 260rpms. I think I should be concerned. The ski accelerates and charges hard in the mid range, but I did notice that from 3/4 throttle to WOT there was very little gain in rpms or mph... maybe 1-2mph. After running WOT for about a minute, I dropped the throttle to about 5/8 and the rpms stayed almost the same. Could the throttle not be opening all the way? I just changed the plugs about two weeks ago. Does this just happen... I don't think so! Sounds like fun and games with Kawasaki [email protected]#@

Any ideas?

I am going to give it a run tomorrow morning and see if it gets worse.

Banned User
    +1
    What's done to your ski as a stock 260 does not run 8krpm stock

+1
    It can be

Boost leak
    Throttle not open at 100%
    Bad fuel

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    What's done to your ski as a stock 260 does not run 8krpm stock
    Everything but engine work.

I noticed that my 300x has very little room for the throttle cable to be adjusted. Try to carefully listen to where the throttle cam is (underneath the sc fogger port) for a "click" when the trottle goes to wot and back to idle. I had just installed new bars and my rpm jumped to around 2000 rpm and noticed that the cable had somewhat tightened up ie. cable routing. It can be adjusted at the throttle cam housing, but if you remove it( which you have to to adjust )the setting will be different due to the cable being moved from original location.
    hope his may help
    David

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Ran my 260X last weekend and it ran 8,060rpms solid. Today under similar conditions it only ran 7,800rpms. That is a loss of 260rpms. I think I should be concerned. The ski accelerates and charges hard in the mid range, but I did notice that from 3/4 throttle to WOT there was very little gain in rpms or mph... maybe 1-2mph. After running WOT for about a minute, I dropped the throttle to about 5/8 and the rpms stayed almost the same. Could the throttle not be opening all the way? I just changed the plugs about two weeks ago. Does this just happen... I don't think so! Sounds like fun and games with Kawasaki [email protected]#@

Any ideas?

I am going to give it a run tomorrow morning and see if it gets worse.
    whats the climate compared to when u did 8k rpm ?

Waz

+1
    Thanks everybody. I will check those things.

To respond to Waz's question: The barometer dropped from 29.5 to 29.0 and therefore I would anticipate a nominal drop in rpms, but the funny thing is that my stock RXT-X 260 stayed right on 8,060 under the same conditioins.... which tells me it is not the weather or the fuel. ...and also the Kawai really hits hard in the mid range which tells me it is probably not the boost (but it could be so I will check all the hoses).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Thanks everybody. I will check those things.

To respond to Waz's question: The barometer dropped from 29.5 to 29.0 and therefore I would anticipate a nominal drop in rpms, but the funny thing is that my stock RXT-X 260 stayed right on 8,060 under the same conditioins.... which tells me it is not the weather or the fuel. ...and also the Kawai really hits hard in the mid range which tells me it is probably not the boost (but it could be so I will check all the hoses).
    It was the weather. I had the same issue yesterday morning. Brent took the ski for a ride after that storm cooled things off and was able to get the Rpms back to what he ran last weekend. Yesterday morning it was like walking in a sauna out there.

+1
    I think Eric and Brent figured out my problem. Since my 260X has a 1:1 pulley it is generating a lot of more heat than my Stock TX. As a result the rpms are effected a lot more than on a stock ski.

I did however, run a solid 71.3mph is this brutal heat (temp 100F) and very low Barometer. Not bad for a heavy ski. When it comes to the lake slop, there is nothing like it out there... especially for an old guy like me.

Thread Information