Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Stretch bolts replacement during rebuild?

Fixing to rebuild my supercharged 4tec gtx engine. Was wondering if the cylinder head, rocker arm assembly retaining bolts, lower crankcase, and rod bolts need to be replaced or can they be reused. Plan on doing it right so don't care to buy them if need to, but also could use them if it won't hurt reliability of the engine. Thanks for any input anyone has.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctmartin2000 View Post
    Fixing to rebuild my supercharged 4tec gtx engine. Was wondering if the cylinder head, rocker arm assembly retaining bolts, lower crankcase, and rod bolts need to be replaced or can they be reused. Plan on doing it right so don't care to buy them if need to, but also could use them if it won't hurt reliability of the engine. Thanks for any input anyone has.
    Dont forget the cam sproket and and flywheel bolts, many will tell you to reuse the bolts but without having the ability to measure the stretch on the bolts from their original manufactured lengths you should really replace them to be sure they are not compromised (over stretched). Many have reused these without issue but for certain replace the flywheel bolts!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Rod bolts, head bolts, flywheel bolts, and rocker shaft bolts all need to be replaced... imo.

Head bolts don't need to be replaced. You need to measure them, and pay very close attention when you are torquing them down. On the two engines I just am finishing up, I found one per engine that didn't torque down right. At the last 90 degrees, they just didn't have the holding power of all the others, and you can tell this by going back with a click torque wrench set at 75 ft lbs. Those two bolts would still move with the clicker set at 75 ft lbs, all the others would click the wrench.

BTW, one of these two bad ones was brand new, right out of the package.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Dont forget the cam sproket and and flywheel bolts, many will tell you to reuse the bolts but without having the ability to measure the stretch on the bolts from their original manufactured lengths you should really replace them to be sure they are not compromised (over stretched). Many have reused these without issue but for certain replace the flywheel bolts!
    Cam sprocket???

Rod bolts, head bolts, flywheel bolts, and rocker shaft bolts all need to be replaced... imo.
    Yep......sure.

Head bolts don't need to be replaced. You need to measure them, and pay very close attention when you are torquing them down. On the two engines I just am finishing up, I found one per engine that didn't torque down right. At the last 90 degrees, they just didn't have the holding power of all the others, and you can tell this by going back with a click torque wrench set at 75 ft lbs. Those two bolts would still move with the clicker set at 75 ft lbs, all the others would click the wrench.

WTF, that's nice to know!
    I've heard of re-use but was not sure of the process.

+1
    get ur self a set of ARP head studs, rod bolts, 06+ flywheel bolt kit and rocker shaft bolts, only the stock bolts for those applications are stretch

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post

Soooo true, I have had the same experience ... every time I have installed a head, there were at least two new bolts that did NOT feel right, so I tossed them and used two of the best used bolts I had (mic'd them all, took the shortest two), and they tightened down correctly. Don't know why, but this is very common IMO ... pay close attention when tightening the bolts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Didn't know you had to replace the cam sprocket bolts too. Guess I need to go to the stealership

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
    Didn't know you had to replace the cam sprocket bolts too. Guess I need to go to the stealership
    u do not have to replace the cam bolts, they are just standard grade 8.8 zinc coated, only the flywheel bolts need replacing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    Cam sprocket???

Yep......sure.

WTF, that's nice to know!
    I've heard of re-use but was not sure of the process.
    "Sproket Bolts", there was a discussion on these a while back and it seems like the general census was to replace these as well. I seem to remember the guys suggesting to use the old bolts for tuneing then installing a new set once timeing is correct. The problem with reusing the head bolts is that you will NEVER know what the original length of each bolt measured when assembled at BRP (first use). True if you started out with a new out of package set you could take a measurement for future use and only if you knew what the maximum amount of stretch for the bolts were prior to use each time. Its a crap-shoot each time you reuse these as to if they will hold. These bolts a manufactured to allow the metal to have a recoil effect to hold tention (like a rubber band), once stretched beyond recommended specifications they will loose the recoil effect. When this occurs the bolts will fail just as indicated in the above conversation pertaining to the "didn't torque down right" statement. Its like a rubber band that has been stretched until it begings to tear a bit but keeps stretching. We are talking about .001s of an inch until they are compromised. Probably some of the reasons for some of the issues forum members are experiencing with the head gaskets not holding. IMO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information