Ohm reading on ignition coil 1996 SLTX 1050

I have two coils for my 1050 and when I check the ohms on both coils I get 1 ohm on each wire for the primary side. I know the specs for that reading is .35 ohms. Does this mean that these coils are bad? I am alos getting a reading of 234 ohms on the purple wire coming from the stator. The specs show a reading of 1200 ohms. Could this mean that there is a problem with the stator?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Does this engine have the original ignition system or the upgrade kit?

Measuring low coil ohms can be tricky. Read the red domestic section from my signature links for how to compensate for ohm-meter offset.

It has the original ingition system. We just ordered the ignition update and we want to make 100% sure the coil is good. We got 1 ohm on all three coils. I tested the offset on our meter like you described and I get 1.7 every time i short the probes. It is a cheap meter so I am going to try and get a better meter and try again. I know that you had said the coils are pretty tough do you think that coil is good? I have been told that if there is a problem with the coil it will fry the CDI, is that true?

These are the first skis we have owned. We have been renting for the last few years. I want to thank you and the rest of the members here for all the great information! It has really helped already!

I bought a better multi-meter today and checked the ohms on the two coils. It bounced between .3 and .4 ohms on all three wires. That should mean that the coil is good, right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko8338 View Post
    I bought a better multi-meter today and checked the ohms on the two coils. It bounced between .3 and .4 ohms on all three wires.

That should mean that the coil is good, right?
    Probably in the right ball park. Sounds good enough.

Make sure the secondary coils and plug wires are in good shape.

Put the updated ignition system on it. It runs pretty good. Now I just have to figure out why it is hesitating when you go for full throttle after about 20 minutes of riding.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko8338 View Post
    ... it is hesitating when you go for full throttle after about 20 minutes of riding.
    When the problem happens, stop the engine and open the gas cap. Listen for an air pressure release. The re-close and test ride.

If the problem goes away then one or both of fuel tank venting check valves are stuck closed. Replace with new valves.

Thread Information