+1

replacing seat cover on 97 xp

Hello all, i have a 97 xp. bout last year it developed a crack in the seat.. I let it go till this year. Finally got my seat cover and now im ready to replace it. only thing is i let it go so long that the foam has split, and its deep. Im not sure how i want to go doing this job now. The instructions say the cover was meant to go over the stock seat cover but Im not sure i want to do that. the more i look at it it looks like the foam is part of the factory seat cover. im not sure how i want to go about replacing this cover. id appreciate it if yall could help me out, maybe show/tell me what you did when you replaced yours.

+1
    well ive replaced the seatcovers on my 95 gtx and 97 gs, the gs had a similar tear like yours (plus it was uv dammaged and dry) while the gtx was just dry, i got replacement covers off ebay, 35$ for the gs and 90 for the gtx (but included enough material for seat, front thing infront of the seat and the steering column.

if you want, pickup new foam and seat cover or do what i did on my gs, fill it with mold resistant foam/anything really what wont mold
    stitch up the seat, reglue it with a vinyl repair kit (easily obteinable) and put the seat cover on it.

Tips= have 2 people to do the job and a good stable workplace, a heat gun and a sunny day, let it warm up (the material) in the sun for 1-2hours, then put it on,
    stretch it out, hold inplace (second person) or staple it. and use the heat gun to stretch it even more, make sure you dont have any bends or slackness on the seat.
    repeat on every side. when done. put in shady place. let it shrink abit, it looseness is found, take staples out gently and re tighten.

and thats it..... pretty easy, but took me 2-3 hours per seat. use stainless steel staples if you can find any. but galvanized would work too.
    hope i helped.

+1
    it sounds so much easier than it is..lol but thank you.. i tried messing with it the other day.. im usually pretty good with my hands but upholstery has never been something im good at.. i either need to take my time or have someone else do it..

+1
    well, to be honest, your seat seems to be similar to my 97Gs, which was PRETTY easy.....
    now the 95 gtx? please. next time im just going to ride without a seat. it was horrible!
    the seat is shaped like a arc, and its 2 stories,it was IMPOSSIBLE to make it tight everywhere, but eventually i got a buddy to help me out (upholstery king)

The job is pretty easy but takes time, heating, stapling, waiting, heating.... stretching here and there... stapling....... on and on and on.
    but if its difficult for you, make a 2 folds in the rear. less appealing but works too.

hope i helped and that the job was easy for you.
    P.S. dont forget! STAINLESS STAPLES!!

Thread Information