Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

water in 2004 virage hull

While riding I noticed water was pumping out of the bilge so I checked both skis and they did have a few inches of water. I took the seat off and let the engine run for a few minutes to try and locate any water that may be leaking and didn't see anything. I checked the hoses and drive shaft and didn't find any water coming from anywhere.

Where could the water be coming from?

Could it be entering from the bilge hole?

Thanks

check under the exhaust manifold with a mirror.

If it's not the waterbox or exhaust manifold...check the hull. My virage just cracked under the rear of the boat above the jet pump. Lay on your back and check the seam where the upper and lower deck connect. Mine happened because I strapped the ski to the trailer via the grab handle on the rear of the seat. The pressure from the strap and the commute created a hairline crack in the underside of the upper hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you test with the hull in the water, or on land?

Back the hull into the water, still strapped down. Use a mirror and flashlight to look under the drive shaft and behind the through hull carrier.

Virage hulls have a black plastic fitting that can loosen and leak. If water is coming in around that fitting, it can be tightened from inside the pump tunnel after removing the drive shaft and intake grate. Polaris sells a special tool to fit the plastic 'nut'.

I have checked the hulls for cracks or holes and none found. I have checked the pwc's in the water and found water coming in from the bearing housing (only while the engine is on). So does this mean the seals are bad?

Should I check the " black plastic fitting" also, or is water entering from there and the seals are fine?

If I replace the seals should I replace the bearing? Where can I buy just the bearing and not the entire housing?

I still can't find where the water is coming from on the other pwc.

I have done some searching and found these seals:
    http://www.skfextranet.com/catalogs/...ail.asp?s=8702.
    Are these the right ones for my pwc and can I buy them at napa? Also I can't find the size of the bearing can anyone shed some light.

Thanks

+1
    Bearings and seal sizes and part numbers are listed in the jet pump section from my signature links.

If the water is dripping from the engine side of the bearing assembly (where the drive shaft enters into the engine compartment) then the seals need replacing.

If the water is dripping from farther back towards the hull then the leak is something else, possibly the black plastic section.
    Last edited by K447; 08-05-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I have checked your link and cant find the size for the bearing or seals. The only thing that I found was this http://www.skfextranet.com/catalogs/...ail.asp?s=8702. Please send me the link for the bearing size and seals.

Thank you.

+1

Arrow Replacement seals and bushings for through-hull bearing assembly (all except MSX)

Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have checked your link and cant find the size for the bearing or seals. The only thing that I found was this http://www.skfextranet.com/catalogs/...ail.asp?s=8702. Please send me the link for the bearing size and seals.

Thank you.
    Replacement bushings are Polaris part number 3576514 (2 required)
    Apparently the generic equivalent plain bearing is 14DU06, a self-lubricating steel+sintered metal+impregnated Teflon bearing

Generic Drive Shaft Seal carrier seal part# 8702 (Two required)
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...449#post174449

Shaft 0.875
    Bore 1.499
    OD 1.503
    Width 0.25

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Did you test with the hull in the water, or on land?

Back the hull into the water, still strapped down. Use a mirror and flashlight to look under the drive shaft and behind the through hull carrier.

Virage hulls have a black plastic fitting that can loosen and leak. If water is coming in around that fitting, it can be tightened from inside the pump tunnel after removing the drive shaft and intake grate. Polaris sells a special tool to fit the plastic 'nut'.
    is the plug you referring to under the grate?
    is it supposed to spin without tightening?

I

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information