Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying decision: FZs or RXTX 260 (non suspension) - Facts, backed up opinions please

Hi. After riding a yamaha at the lake recently, I fell in love with the handling/styling. I ride a seadoo at the moment and it's pretty nice. I'm just looking to change. I considered a VXR, and if I didn't think it was so ugly, it'd be perfect.

If I go Yamaha, how bad is open loop? I'm told that anything my pump sucks up will go into cooling the engine. I didn't know what inherent problems to watch out for yamahas. I know now not to ride one without an r&d grate or you might die.

-How is the holeshot compared to the RXTX 260 (for those of you fortunate enough to ride both).

I may go with a used 09 FZS - what changes were made to the FZ line over the past 2 years. I've heard about the SC clutch, but nothing else.

I think seadoo has the edge with the instrumentation/brake lever. I will mainly use the ski for cutting around a local lake, and some offshore adventure time to time. We do a good bit of wakeboarding/skating, so holeshot is a plus.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by andisblue View Post
    Hi. After riding a yamaha at the lake recently, I fell in love with the handling/styling. I ride a seadoo at the moment and it's pretty nice. I'm just looking to change. I considered a VXR, and if I didn't think it was so ugly, it'd be perfect.

If I go Yamaha, how bad is open loop? I'm told that anything my pump sucks up will go into cooling the engine. I didn't know what inherent problems to watch out for yamahas. I know now not to ride one without an r&d grate or you might die.

-How is the holeshot compared to the RXTX 260 (for those of you fortunate enough to ride both).

I may go with a used 09 FZS - what changes were made to the FZ line over the past 2 years. I've heard about the SC clutch, but nothing else.

I think seadoo has the edge with the instrumentation/brake lever. I will mainly use the ski for cutting around a local lake, and some offshore adventure time to time. We do a good bit of wakeboarding/skating, so holeshot is a plus.
    Open loop isnt bad. Install a nice strainer and done deal. Seadoos are the same way but lake water only cools the IC and exhaust manifold. But still, install a strainer! The FZ clutch is fine if you treat it right. That really is the only thing to keep in mind on the FZ is the clutch. Just bear in mind as you fly balls to the wall across open water pinned at WOT.... As you come unhooked you are going to murder that clutch if you keep it pinned. If you know you are going to come unhooked, ease out of the throttle some. As long as you try and practice that method of throttle control and possibly install a nice blow-off valve. Youll be good too go!

You said: I considered a VXR, and if I didn't think it was so ugly, it'd be perfect.

Andisblue, don't ever judge a book by the cover, you have heard this saying, I know. Something for you to think about : )

+1
    I saw a VXR on the water this weekend, to me it's a beautiful ski so I'm not feeling you on that at all.

As for the RXT-X; it's a nice package; I did a bone stock, side-by-side comparison test ride with the Yamaha FZR about a year ago; the thread is still over on the Sea-Doo board somewhere.

If I was riding offshore a lot in the ocean I might have chosen that ski; but in the end, I found it WAY too big for the lakes here, (looks like a whale to me). but for wakeboarding you might like the extra size of that whale, who knows.

It does have a good hole shot, but the stock FZR was still reeling it in within a few seconds and spanking it on every run we did.

I think the RXT-X is more plush and comfortable than the FZS, but I didn't like the fact that you have to select a stupid "sport mode" on a computer every time you start it in order to get top performance out of the RXT-X; that's just a dumb idea. The brakes are nice, but overall I found the new Doos too complicated and WAY over-priced when I was looking.

Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Open loop isnt bad. Install a nice strainer and done deal. Seadoos are the same way but lake water only cools the IC and exhaust manifold. But still, install a strainer! The FZ clutch is fine if you treat it right. That really is the only thing to keep in mind on the FZ is the clutch. Just bear in mind as you fly balls to the wall across open water pinned at WOT.... As you come unhooked you are going to murder that clutch if you keep it pinned. If you know you are going to come unhooked, ease out of the throttle some. As long as you try and practice that method of throttle control and possibly install a nice blow-off valve. Youll be good too go!
    Thanks for the advice. I try this technique on the seadoo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    You said: I considered a VXR, and if I didn't think it was so ugly, it'd be perfect.

Andisblue, don't ever judge a book by the cover, you have heard this saying, I know. Something for you to think about : )
    I'm not sure that statement applies to picking out a PWC. From what I've read, the VXR is hands-down, the best PWC on the market. Equal performance on HALF the gas.. ? Makes me wonder - would ditching the charger altogether and going with an even BIGGER NA engine be the way to go for performance (and still have respectable fuel consumption)? I'm actually trying to like the way it looks. I'm sure it'd look better with those orange stickers removed.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I saw a VXR on the water this weekend, to me it's a beautiful ski so I'm not feeling you on that at all.

As for the RXT-X; it's a nice package; I did a bone stock, side-by-side comparison test ride with the Yamaha FZR about a year ago; the thread is still over on the Sea-Doo board somewhere.

If I was riding offshore a lot in the ocean I might have chosen that ski; but in the end, I found it WAY too big for the lakes here, (looks like a whale to me). but for wakeboarding you might like the extra size of that whale, who knows.

It does have a good hole shot, but the stock FZR was still reeling it in within a few seconds and spanking it on every run we did.

I think the RXT-X is more plush and comfortable than the FZS, but I didn't like the fact that you have to select a stupid "sport mode" on a computer every time you start it in order to get top performance out of the RXT-X; that's just a dumb idea. The brakes are nice, but overall I found the new Doos too complicated and WAY over-priced when I was looking.
    The rxtx DOES look huge. I agree on the sport mode - rxtX - supposed to be the thriller, sporty model - why start in touring mode? Do you think the VXR is good for pulling out a wakeboarder?

I have ridden both FZR and now own an RXTX 260RS. The FZR turns really nicely but would be more suitable on flatter water. The RXT-X is very good in the rough stuff and also turns on a dime and does not handle like a 'whale' even though some reckon it looks it.
    With the speed overide module (RS is speed unlimited here in Australia) it should be faster in top end than the FZR. Mine did just over 72mph stock and now with a properly pitched prop does 74mph (no other mods except ride plate holes filled). Holeshot with new prop is hugely improved over stock.
    In a perfect world owning both would be great as these are 2 of my favourites skiis. RXP-X would also be worth looking at if you want a smaller 2 seater like FZR

I would consider a SHO, only a few ticks off on speed. Nothing a couple of cheap mods can't take care of..great on flat and in the rough and Yamaha reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_rice View Post
    Rough water kings are the RXT260 and Ultra (look no further than off-shore race results if you want facts) - everything else takes a back seat. The VXR is not a rough water ski at all, off-shore you would be in way over your head on that little thing (literally). The FZR is somewhere in the middle (SHO is also pretty good in the rough). All depends on what your priority is...sometimes bigger IS better
    Good morning Mr Rice. He is asking about 2 specific boats here (maybe 3 as he is "sort of" looking at VXR). We know how you feel about the Ultra, but that is not the subject on this thread.

Yeah my wife has a new SD 155 limited which has the S3 hull and it does great it big water under moderate speed. Very dry ride, almost like a small boat... She loves it, I got bored with it, hence why I have a vxr. FZR would be my choice since u don't like the vxr

+1
    andisblue,

I kinda have to agree with you on the look of VXR! I think the FZ series are much sexier. Good luck on your decision but I think for mostly lake purposes, the VXR is the best value ski in the market!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information