Thread: motor problems

motor problems

i just got my motor rebuilt like 3 years ago and i have possible piston slapping in the jugs. what could be causing this cuz i have hardly rode since i got it all redone.

i got a seadoo xp 951cc

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    oil injection not "in sync" for correct oil required or lean condition could do it too,post a picture of your plugs and list them front /rear to identify the cylinders.
    goodluck

well i mix my own. i took out the oil injector. i mix 16oz to 5 gallons of gas. am i doing it wrong

+1
    what kind of oil??? post some pics.

What did the Piston clearance get set at do you know and what is it now?

I hate to say it buy some shops don’t have all the right equipment to do the job right I have seen may engines do this I know of a few shops that bore there cylinders to much then only hone out .001 or even .002 out this is the wrong way. You have to HONE at least min .004 out after boring what I mean is a Boring bar is only to rough cut you always want to hone at least .004 so with a piston to wall clearance of .005 I bore to just under the piston size and hone .006 out but you have to do this in at least 3 steps the reason is the cylinder gets Hot when honing so I hone it to .004 let it cool then finish to .005 and let it cool one more time then do a final clearance check stone COLD if its a little off I re-hone and check again after there cool remember Stone Cool Room TEMP.

And then Chamfering the port right is a MUST you have to cut with a carbide all edges the go back using a sanding roll and knock all the burr's off and then use a Ball hone to finish all edges.

2 strokes have to be done right other wise you will wear out a top end FAST and this is what can Happen

I bore 4000 plus cylinders a year myself

we all love 2 strokes but there a pain in the ass if there not right you have a problem have you checked for air leaks?? Is will make it run lean and wear quicker if not Seize it up.

Go back and check everything again all the vacum and pulse lines

+1
    one of the piston may be cracked or the skirt is broken on it. That maybe the noise that you are hearing. Or not.

piston slap your sure thats what you hear. Could be wrist pin bearing or worse the crank. Could be a cold engine with Weisco Pistons. (got to be run loose)

well there is no different sound. it sounds all normal. i know what it sounds like when its slapping. i had a motor blow up. since i mix my own fuel and oil. whats the right way cuz all i do is 16oz to every 5 gallons of gas. i use the 2 stroke synthetic oil in the yellow jug

Thread Information